Pre-painting foam board?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I just finished my first Speed build kit, the Storch, using the water resistant foam board kit. I painted it with Bin Zinzer sealer then Rustolium and it came out kinda rough. I didn't care to much anyway as this is my first foam board plane and it is going to be a trainer, so it looks ok for a rough trainer...

Anyway, on my next build I was thinking about using the regular foam board speed build kit, Minwaxing before hand, then also painting everything before I build. My question is, will the paint crinkle or crack when I bend the wings into place, using the Storch for example...also the A and B bends, will the paint hold up or will it just flake off. Is it better to paint after the build?

The reason I was thinking about using the regular foam board the next time is that is looks easier to work with and after Minwaxing it looks to be water proof.

Thanks!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
IMG_2151.JPG

Pic of my Storch, A little on rough side, a learning experience. ARF, just a few adjustments and a dry day needed now...

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
What is the easiest way to install the rubber bands on the wing? My club like hands have problems getting the bands on the dowels and I am afraid I am going to damage the wing...