Precision Aerobat

ManicSkies

Hey Guys!
I am looking for a Precision Aerobatic airplane. The Old Nitros at the flying field always go back to the kits from the Glory Days! I.E. Sig Kougar, Kaos 60, Sig 4-Star and so on. Don't get me wrong these are all great proven airframes but not really what I'm looking for. I am not a 3D pilot and enjoy the beauty of Pattern flying over hovering. Please understand I have the greatest respect for 3D pilots, just not my thing. I was hoping that Bixler would create a more precision design but as far as I can tell not yet. Has anyone used an existing fast build to learn Senior Pattern or F3A? Maybe a FT3D could be tamed down to fly pattern?
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

HawkMan

HK has two very nice foamie F3A planes. one was just recently released I think and is supposed to be very good.

There's also the Horizon hobby planes, like the Sukhoi and the night Visionaire, which while they are 3D planes also work excellently for more sport flying and pattern flying. they also have full AS3X and flight modes for beginners with the panic button

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I'm also very interested in learning the F3A aspect of the hobby. I would be very interested in a FTF/DTFB pattern plane myself.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I've got a DTF Christen Eagle II in the works if that tickles your fancy. It's not exactly a "precision aerobatic" plane, but it is more of a pattern style plane than a 3d plane.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Hey Guys!
I am looking for a Precision Aerobatic airplane. The Old Nitros at the flying field always go back to the kits from the Glory Days! I.E. Sig Kougar, Kaos 60, Sig 4-Star and so on. Don't get me wrong these are all great proven airframes but not really what I'm looking for. I am not a 3D pilot and enjoy the beauty of Pattern flying over hovering. Please understand I have the greatest respect for 3D pilots, just not my thing. I was hoping that Bixler would create a more precision design but as far as I can tell not yet. Has anyone used an existing fast build to learn Senior Pattern or F3A? Maybe a FT3D could be tamed down to fly pattern?
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Find the balsa plan for the plane you want to do in foam and I will create a set of foam plans. It will be up to you to rough out the hardware mounting. But I can produce a PDF that will give you the cut and fold lines to produce the foam version.

Here is an example. I would not build from those plans, they aren't the best that can be done.

IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

Attachments

• Super Kaos Jr Plans Fuse Front 14 Jun15.pdf
    35.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Super Kaos Jr Plans Spars and Stabs 14 Jun15.pdf
    86 KB · Views: 8
  • Super Kaos Jr Plans Wing 14 Jun15.pdf
    44.7 KB · Views: 5

HawkMan

Just remember when building that a F3A needs to be about as perfect and straight as you can get it to perform the patterns right. it also should be of a decent size so you can see it and do the maneuvers smoothly and a nice speed without rocketing through and twitching the sticks everywhere. everything there is about precision.

ManicSkies

Thanks for all your comments

Thanks for all your comments... I was able to find a Parkzone Artizan to get me through the next step then a FMS Olympus 1400mm F3A pattern ship to practice with. After that we'll see about dropping 2-3 grand on a plane. I hope the FT Sportster will be a nice entry aerobatic plane. If they would just roll it out!
Fly it like you stole it!!!!

mjmccarron

There isn't a lot of precision in DTFB but there is a lot of fun for not a lot of $. Of the existing designs, the FT Racer comes close to precision. It tracks like it's on a rail and looks nice in the air. Beyond that, I'd like to see an F3A plane too.

Mike