Presenting RC Aviation to a group of scouts - Suggestions?

Captain Video

As mentioned above, I am speaking to my nephew's boy scout troop on Tuesday 2-18 at least one of my college age son will also participate. Looking for thoughts and ideas. I will mention, RC as a stepping stone for engineering careers, how my sons and I have grown in the hobby, how much fun it is and meeting people with like minds. I plan to feature how Flite Test has influenced us in our hobby pursuits and highlight foam building and how to keep the hobby affordable (to late for me though). I only have about 30-45 minutes though. Thoughts?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
xb-70 has a great impact.
How many kids.

Also you get to use Hot Glue! Nice

redbarton

Check out Nerdnic's NNChuck gliders too. You could pre-cut a bunch of ready to build kits and then help glue them together at the meeting. Bring some markers for them to draw on them too.

Or, just teach them how to fold paper airplanes. I've encountered so many kids that don't even know how to do that. My favorite:

https://www.origamiway.com/plane-nakamura-lock.shtml

You gotta have something hands-on for scouts to do or build. (Note: I was a scout master for a couple years.)

Captain Video

Don't think the xb-70 will fit in the classroom. I plan to bring my Carbon Z Cessna 150, Radian XL 2.9, Apprentice S1.5 FT Goblin, FT Mini Arrow and my QRX350 and Blade inductrix . I also printed out the sheet plans for a FT LongEZ and glue another set to a foam board to give away with directions to FT build video site. There could be 15-25 kids.

Captain Video

Great Ideas. The paper airplane contest is a great suggestion. Think I should talk to the adult about our FAA challenges?

redbarton

Don't take anything too precious to a scout meeting. There's a good chance something will get broken. I learned that the hard way more than once. I camp and backpack too. I had a scout set of cheaper gear and reserved my nice stuff for my personal trips.

redbarton

Set clear rules right up front about what they can or can't handle. You should be good.

Also, maybe give them a handout with links to FT stuff and put the link for the FAA comments site. A few of them might be inspired to post up some comments? Or, maybe ask the scout master to post up some comments about the night and the positive impact it had on the scouts?

Last edited:

Captain Video

I have "foamed up" a Long EZ and a Sponz glider depending on how many and how much time, I will have the boys do a paper airplane toss contest and award the winner one of the foam board plan plus a couple extra print outs as well. We will also discuss how to get into the hobby and the benefits from the hobby experiences Also will share picts and videos from Flite Fest as well.

Captain Video

I plan to bring my Carbon Z Cessna 150, a FT Goblin, FT Mini Arrow and an swap meet find 55mm EDF jet and various controllers, electronics and maybe my laptop with a Sim which uses a controller.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Having done several Maker Faires, the chuck gliders and paper airplanes will go over really well. So will the Inductrix. I've done a presentation with FPV, and when I did it, I hooked up video out from my goggles to a projector and flew around the room with it. Let me tell you, that HOOKED people, kids and adults alike, because they realized that it was just like being in the pilot's seat.

But if you can show them how to build a basic plane, and point out that you can make the Goblin and Mini Arrow from the foamboard, I guarantee you'll have them hooked. :)

FoamyDM

I did that too. they will take and chuck whatever you have until it breaks... We has a quarantine table... it's where "DON'T TOUCH STUFF" goes. Perfect for the Morse code beepers too. Stroke of genius, that was.

FoamyDM

I plan to bring my Carbon Z Cessna 150, a FT Goblin, FT Mini Arrow and an swap meet find 55mm EDF jet and various controllers, electronics and maybe my laptop with a Sim which uses a controller.
remember, some think the transmitter attached is just an xbox controller and not a more delicate piece of hardware.

Captain Video

Hey Folk
Sorry it took so long to follow up
The Scout meeting went well. There were about ten boys and five girls. They were all very interested. I explained the parts of the planes. How to use foam board. How to keep the cost affordable. Where to fly like a local middle school or the closest AMA field. I did the paper airplane contest. The winners got Flite Test plans already glued to foam board and the directs to the web site for the build videos. You could tell who was really into it. It was a lot of fun. I eve talked to those in charge if they want to do a build night as well.