presenting the Nitro baron

Webdragon

DSCF5166.JPG
i scaled up the standard bloody wonder plans. It is now a 36 inch wingspan and is constructed of 4mm coroplast. instead of electric i decided to get noisy and nasty with a OS .25 two stroke nitro engine.

Bricks

Master member
Nice job that coroplast can be some strong stuff and cheap. Have a local sign shop I can get there pieces and left overs for free. Looks like you are flying that on 72KH with the long antenna.

Webdragon

Nice job that coroplast can be some strong stuff and cheap. Have a local sign shop I can get there pieces and left overs for free. Looks like you are flying that on 72KH with the long antenna.
yes i still fly with 72Mhz, i have a pacemaker and any 2.4Ghz radio makes it do strange things like recording false heart troubles. my doctor and i have decided when holding a radio the body becomes part of the antennas groundplane and that causes the issue. i can have friends stand right next to me using a spektrum radio with no issues but the moment i take the radio in hand it goes wonky.

Webdragon

maiden went well, no major surprises, just minor tweaks, the throws on the ailerons are awesome but the elevator leaves it wanting more. easy enough to fix but i will look into that after i add another ounce to the nose she felt slightly tail heavy. did make one major change before flight, the rudder had a nasty warp grow in it so i made a new one an swapped it out.

i also tossed on some more color with wine wing an tail markings and i am very glad i did, it can roll like a drill bit.

DSCF5176.JPG

Webdragon

Do you, by any chance, have pictures of the motor mounting details ?? wood reinforcements? wood spar?

Thanks a lot for sharing!
no pics but i can tell you it is a half inch ply firewall held in place by screws through the coro and the spar is a piece of 1/2X1/2 popular.
edit, i found one pic from the big baron build. i scaled it even bigger to a wingspan of 48 inches. you can see the screws holding the firewall and rear bulkhead in.

Attachments

• DSCF5313.JPG
    DSCF5313.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0