Printing Large Plans

Cheesecake

I’m trying to print off some 185-200% sized plans. Who are people using to do so? Staples won’t print that large. At least the one in my town. Trying to build a giant scale bird this winter and with no access to a laser cutter or a large plotter I’m stuck.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
You can print them with any sized paper if you use Adobe Reader. All you have to do is open up the plans in Adobe Reader and select print. After the print window opens up there should be a section in the middle of the window labeled "Page Sizing & Handling" right below that there should be options to choose between "Size" "Poster" "Multiple" and "Booklet" You are going to want to select the "Poster" option. Next, ensure your tile scale is set to 100%, your overlap is set at 0.005 in. and that you have the "Tile only large pages" option selected. You can also select "Cut marks" which will make taping the sheets of paper together easier. Lastly, go down to the bottom of the print window and click print.

After they print you can just tape the individual sheets together.

Michael9865

Elite member
I’m trying to print off some 185-200% sized plans. Who are people using to do so? Staples won’t print that large. At least the one in my town. Trying to build a giant scale bird this winter and with no access to a laser cutter or a large plotter I’m stuck.

I agree with FDS, have them print it with their large paper in tiled format and tape them together.

Cheesecake

You can print them with any sized paper if you use Adobe Reader. All you have to do is open up the plans in Adobe Reader and select print. After the print window opens up there should be a section in the middle of the window labeled "Page Sizing & Handling" right below that there should be options to choose between "Size" "Poster" "Multiple" and "Booklet" You are going to want to select the "Poster" option. Next, ensure your tile scale is set to 100%, your overlap is set at 0.005 in. and that you have the "Tile only large pages" option selected. You can also select "Cut marks" which will make taping the sheets of paper together easier. Lastly, go down to the bottom of the print window and click print.

After they print you can just tape the individual sheets together.

ive done that for printing plans off at the standard size (or just select the tiled version off the FT build sites) but would this work the same if I scaled it up?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
these kinda big plans????

20191103_154806.jpg

talk to @Rasterize, he can print as long as you need on 24" wide paper. cost you a fraction of what Office Depot will charge and that includes shipping.

laters,

me :cool:

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
I did not know that was a service that you offered. I can't say it's a game changer, but man it would nice to build from plans that I don't have to tile!

It, like many products in this hobby, is a convenience thing. Speed build kits, AFRs, large output plans, whatever your time vs money seesaw is telling you to do/buy. The community is also weird about folks selling printed FT plans. I don't know why but I always get blow-back if I offer it.

Michael9865

Elite member
It, like many products in this hobby, is a convenience thing. Speed build kits, AFRs, large output plans, whatever your time vs money seesaw is telling you to do/buy. The community is also weird about folks selling printed FT plans. I don't know why but I always get blow-back if I offer it.

It is unfortunate that you get “blow-back” for providing a printing service like Staples or their competition does.

Rasterize

Mentor
It is unfortunate that you get “blow-back” for providing a printing service like Staples or their competition does.
Yeah and a cheaper shipped to you door service to boot! I enlarged the sea duck to 200%. It came to a 24" X 700" (yes that's 700 inches). I broke them down to 6 sheets. Printed it in color and shipped it from AZ to GA for $40.10 all up all in. Staples? 1 24"X36" will cost you $5.89 a sheet. (both being color prints) It would take 20 of those sheets so you still have tiling to do. Cost you $114 pus tax with them. Even if you did them black and white at Staples it still comes to $71.80 plus tax. Hmmm maybe I should raise my prices! lol

Cheesecake

Can you hit the high notes like him. Since he can't get up there anymore and shouldn't for vocal cord health, there could be a gig for ya!:unsure:

That I cannot do. I chose the bass to be in the back just for the reason of not being able to carry a tune in a bucket. Ill let my fingers do the talking.

Also,

These plans are amazing. honestly, this is going to cut my build time in half. I was more than happy to pay for these, because I would have spent the 40$ or more in printer paper alone just to print off the tiled plans..

265574_ea6b77bc511f39c7baf78bafbf32f3f3.jpeg

Rasterize

Mentor
Woot! Both versions of Maker Foam (regular and thick) are now available!
https://store.flitetest.com/search?s=maker+foam
So now that FT has the new Maker Foam in the store, maybe I should offer printed plans at 185%?
Maybe even offer scaled paper decals to go with it? IE the FT Master Series Corsair: 4:24X100 color pages.
What do you guys think?
FT F4U 185 LR with man.jpg

Last edited:

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Woot! Both versions of Maker Foam (regular and thick) are now available!
https://store.flitetest.com/search?s=maker+foam
So now that FT has the new Maker Foam in the store, maybe I should offer printed plans at 185%?
Maybe even offer scaled paper decals to go with it? IE the FT Master Series Corsair: 4:24X100 color pages.
What do you guys think?
View attachment 150072
I am still getting the hang of the mini planes but I would be sorely tempted to use those large plans . as soon as I figure out where to store the finished plane :)

-J

sundown57

Legendary member
just so you know. whenever you cut plans over 100% watch out for the score and cut marks. you have to measure them to fit the foam board or everything will be loose.