problem building creality ender 3

cubsterky

I've built my ender 3 and found a problem when I pressed prepare / auto home. This motor is turning, but it doesn't turn the giant screw that lifts the extruder up and down. I've tried many times tightening and loosening the screws but it doesn't turn. What should I do?

Attachments

• 20190129_150203.jpg
    20190129_150203.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've built my ender 3 and found a problem when I pressed prepare / auto home. This motor is turning, but it doesn't turn the giant screw that lifts the extruder up and down. I've tried many times tightening and loosening the screws but it doesn't turn. What should I do?

If the silver coupler your finger is pointing to spins with the motor then loosen the top setscrew and make sure the jack screw drops down all the way. Tighten both setscrews securely.

Joe

cubsterky

If the silver coupler your finger is pointing to spins with the motor then loosen the top setscrew and make sure the jack screw drops down all the way. Tighten both setscrews securely.

Joe
I tried that and I'm sure its secure. I think for some reason it might be unable to turn the jack screw bc it is requiring too much strength. I can hear it struggling. What could cause this?

w1lp33

Also once you get it working you're gonna love it. I got an ender 3 for Christmas and it's been running non stop since then :1)

Turbojoe

Elite member
Try loosening the upper jack screw bearing plate screws on the extruder bracket. Jack screw misalignment is a common complaint. Mine wasn't too bad. All I had to do was move that upper bearing plate a bit and it runs with no bind now. There are lots of other fixes for the problem on Google. Did you have to force the shaft over to get it to fit into the bearing during assembly?

Joe

w1lp33

The two bolts that attach the x axis bar to the extruder.. Thing. If you loosen them a little, you can angle the bar up and down a little and then retighten them.

I'll find you the link to the build video I followed, and he shows really well how to make sure everything is nicely square and level.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've spent MANY hours on YouTube watching so many BAD/USELESS videos on the Ender 3. The one posted above by w1lp3 is without question the best I've seen. I wish I had found this BEFORE I built mine. The section on adjusting the roller wheels would have save me lots of frustration. PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO THAT SECTION! Virtually all of my wheels were adjusted too tight from the factory. 4 wheels were even flat spotted from being over tight causing all kinds of print problems for me due to the flat spots. I ordered replacement wheels from Amazon. Replaced a total of four and adjusted ALL wheels to a realistic preload. Made all the difference in my print quality. I'm still learning the ropes and am getting my printer closer and closer everyday to where it needs to be for exact prints thanks to all the help I'm getting here and on Thingiverse.

Keep at it. It looks like a lot of adjusting is needed to get everything set to your individual printer/designs but it really is worth it. It won't happen overnight but it really is a fun learning experience. Aside from the too tight wheels the unit has been trouble free for me other than making custom settings for the prints.

Remember to install Cura for your slicer. Join Thingiverse and the Thingiverse Ender 3 group. Install Pronterface for an easy way to update printer settings. Give TinkerCad a serious look for designing items. I "learned" it much faster than I expected! It's all very mind boggling at first but many people have been patient and helped me get this far. Kudos go out to all that have pitched in so far!

Joe