Problem Flashing Hk Board for Tricopter

Hello Flite Test Forum

I am building my first multi rotor and I am almost finished my tricopter and got to the point that I need to flash my hk v2.1 board. I am using a mac and downloaded the last stable version of kk mulicopter flash tool. I am using the usb asp to connect my computer to my board. When I try to flash my board it give me this error.

could not find USB device

Error during setting the fuses.
Flashing of firmware aborted.

I had check to make sure I had the 6 pin connector the right way with the notch point to the vertical gyro. When I plug in the usb the hk board does flash a red led once and no lights are on the usb aps. I also have tried plugging in a esu for external power and downloading different versions of the flash tool still no luck.

Could it be possible to my usb asp is bad? Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Timmerflyer

bikerboy

Hey timmerflyer, if this is your first time trying to flash your hk board, bear in mind that it comes with some bits necessary for writing that are locked (don't know how to explain it more technical than this :) ).
To overcome that I had to use AVR Studio to just erase the original firmware (you can use whatever program you choose). After this everything worked like a charm.

Hope you work it out!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hey timmerflyer, if this is your first time trying to flash your hk board, bear in mind that it comes with some bits necessary for writing that are locked (don't know how to explain it more technical than this :) ).
To overcome that I had to use AVR Studio to just erase the original firmware (you can use whatever program you choose). After this everything worked like a charm.

Hope you work it out!

My board didn't need any deleting - but I used Windows 7 32-bit to do it. If you have access to a PC, I can help you through the process.

I used Mac to flash my kk board too, some of the things you might want to do 1) use the slightly lower version of flash tool, 2) update your java.

Colorex

I do on bootcamp on my mac running xp. I am updating my java on the mac side and see if that will help. If it doesn't work I would greatly appreciate your guidance.

nguyen.tran

Looks like my java is up to date. What version would you recommend?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Download the driver from here and extract it to the desktop:

http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/usbasp-windriver.2011-05-28.zip

Connect the USBasp to the computer.

Then right click on "My Computer", go to "Manage". On the right, select "Devices". There should be a warning icon showing the USBasp icon has an error.

Rightclick on it, go to "Properties", then find a button that says "Update Driver" - you want to look for the driver locally. Then you select the folder where you downloaded the driver, and it should install.

Then you should be able to use the kkmulticopterflashtool from here:

http://lazyzero.de/_media/modellbau/kkmulticopterflashtool/kkmulticopterflashtool_0.62.zip

See flitetest's video as well, it's pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgdMEqWRGWY

Went under manage devices and can't find the error of the usbasp or anything of it. Don't know for sure if my usbasp is bad and can't be found still didn't have any luck on mac with still giving me the same error can't find usb. On XP when i put the usb in it doesn't make a sound like something has been plug in or anything. I am going to try on windows 7 when I get a chance. I think I am going to order a new usbasp their so cheap. Any other advice is welcome. Still have a little bit till I start up the tricopter anyways.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hmm - does the LED light up on the USBasp? Is it a HobbyKing USBasp? then it should light up green - if it doesn't then there's something wrong.

I don't know how you run winXP on a Mac - but if you're using a virtual machine, then you need to forward a USB port to the virtual machine. This has been done to flash boards while using Win 7 64bit.

I am running bootcamp so apple provides the drivers for the usb and so on. When I plug in my usbasp on either windows or mac I do not get a light. I already have ordered a new usbasp looks like it should be in by the end of the week. Hopefully this will help. If I get my hands on windows 7 before then I will try and see if it works on that. Thanks for the help will keep you updated.

Timmerflyer

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I am running bootcamp so apple provides the drivers for the usb and so on. When I plug in my usbasp on either windows or mac I do not get a light. I already have ordered a new usbasp looks like it should be in by the end of the week. Hopefully this will help. If I get my hands on windows 7 before then I will try and see if it works on that. Thanks for the help will keep you updated.

Timmerflyer

I don't think it will work if you can't install proprietary drivers. Do try on a Windows computer.

I think I used v0.53.2 for Mac with the most updated java and It worked fine. I initially used v0.62 and couldn't get it connected either

I tried windows 7, when i plugged in the usbasp it would say there is a problem. I would follow the driver install according to the flite test video. When I go to update the driver I says the windows has already found the proper driver and will not take the usbasp driver. Any ideas? Still waiting on the new usbasp to come in.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I tried windows 7, when i plugged in the usbasp it would say there is a problem. I would follow the driver install according to the flite test video. When I go to update the driver I says the windows has already found the proper driver and will not take the usbasp driver. Any ideas? Still waiting on the new usbasp to come in.

I think you need to uninstall the current driver and try the manual installation. That problem occurs when the computer gets the driver automatically.

Do you know how to uninstall...? I tried using the uninstall button that is right under the driver update button. Still had the same problem. Any suggestions?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Doesn't it work when you right click the Unknown Device > Properties > Driver tab > Uninstall ?

Are you logged in as an admin?

Got the new usb asp in, every flash properly... :D
I am now getting fast beeps from the esc I am guessing I need to set my throttle end points?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Got the new usb asp in, every flash properly... :D
I am now getting fast beeps from the esc I am guessing I need to set my throttle end points?

Yup!

- Make sure that the flight-controller is turned off
- Turn the Yaw pot to the MIN position
- Turn on the transmitter
- Move the throttle stick to top (full)
- Turn on the flight-controller
- Wait until the ESC's beeps twice after the initial beeps. (Plush and SS ESC's)
- Swiftly move the throttle stick fully down (closed). The ESC’s beeps
- Power off the flight-controller
- Restore the yaw pot to around 50%

I think I got the throttle range to set, but I am having a issue with one motor not spooling up to about quarter stick. I was thinking it much be the throttle range but it doesn't seem to help at all. Any suggestions?