Problem Solver: a simple test bed

(Forgive me in advance for being long-winded here.)

I was on a building spree a little while back, but I'm dealing with too many unknowns at the same time. In a hobby where it seems bigger is better and faster is better, various circumstances make small gentle planes very attractive to me. I built these three nifty planes, quite small and VERY light, figuring the powered-glider-type plane would be the first to fly. It seems like it should be the easiest.

IMG_1871.JPG

Too many unknowns. Mainly it's two things: these tricky undercambered wings I'm building (that better work the way I hope) and the ultra-light weight for the amount of wing surface. The glider weighs in at 105g to around 115g or so depending on the battery I put in there. If they're just too light to fly in anything but dead air, well I don't like that at all. I mean, then I should build with regular 5mm foamboard, and maybe add some ballast too? That sounds awful.

But there's a reason why we have an endless sea of tiny little scale-ish planes coming from China: Flight controllers. And it seems for my recent ridiculously light planes, if a gyro stabilizer doesn't help them fly right, nothing will. I tried flying the powered glider and destroyed the nose. (It'll be an easy fix.) And I can see in the air it wants to fly. Before I try to destroy one of these others I needed to take a step back and think. I decided to build a quick & dirty test bed to figure this out.

IMG_1876.JPG IMG_1878.JPG IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1884.JPG

The design is inspired by the Sig Ninja. It'll be a twin, two 1106/4500s, and that's probably much more than I need, so I think it'll be running on only a 2-cell but it could run 3S if I want. I need to set up the flight stabilizer, haven't done that yet, shouldn't be hard at all. There's loads of info on how to do that on Youtube.

As always, my build progress is slow. Maybe I can fly this in around two weeks or so. Or be ready to fly and waiting for a weekend morning with little to no air.

Looks like an F5 or T38? And an A10. Nice
F-5 all the way home! It's one of the sexiest jets I think. I enlarged the wing surface a lot for that build. I'm wondering now if that one is most likely to fly better, for the cubic wing loading. Maybe the others just want to blow away...

cyclone3350

Master member
F-5 all the way home! It's one of the sexiest jets I think. I enlarged the wing surface a lot for that build. I'm wondering now if that one is most likely to fly better, for the cubic wing loading. Maybe the others just want to blow away...

Before I started to read your thread, I had to look @ your first pic posted. The first thing that caught my eye, was the F-5 next to that superbly well done A-10. Yes the F-5 is a hottie for sure.

tomlogan1

Elite member
What size EDF?

What size EDF?
Oh no, no, too much too soon! Twin 1106/4500s mounted behind the wing at the back end of those... I believe they're drop tanks. This extended project of real small too light weird wing blah blah has led me to my first jet, and with help from the stabilizer I have hopes of someday being able to do a bunch of high alpha and whatever other "up close & personal" :)tricks there might be.

IMG_1835.JPG

Before I started to read your thread, I had to look @ your first pic posted. The first thing that caught my eye, was the F-5 next to that superbly well done A-10. Yes the F-5 is a hottie for sure.
Thank you very much Mr C. And yeah it had to be the F-5. ;)

cyclone3350

Master member
I remember U posting the plans on that not too long ago. Did U do that in that short of time and have U posted a build on it? Nice clean flowing lines U got there.

I remember U posting the plans on that not too long ago. Did U do that in that short of time and have U posted a build on it? Nice clean flowing lines U got there.
I guess I must've posted a sort of teaser from the Cad work. The build only took a few weeks, and I build way slow. I get home from work awfully burned out and don't get a lot done except for on the weekends. To tell you the truth I probably spent as much time figuring it all out in my head during the design stages. It turned out to be a real nice challenge for me. Thanks much for your praise. I guess I figured it better fly before I post a build, and it's so little, and with 3mm foamboard nobody would want to build it anyway! And you know better than I do, it's hard to convey all the steps you did, especially with a more unconventional build. But yeah I could post it for sure once it flies. Maybe somebody'll scale it up a bit. It's surprising what you can get out of a box fuse.