Problem with GPS Ublox NEO 6M

adriacabeza

Hi,
I've got a GPS Ublox Neo 6M module and even though I've tried to upload the firmware from ublox website in the mission planner(I'm working with APM 2.6) the program doesn't detect my situation. I've tried my u-center too and it doesn't detect the gps, as it doesn't exist. How can I solve it?
Thanks,

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Do you have a FTDI interface that you can connect to the GPS? You might need to connect it directly vs. passthrough APM/Mission Planner, if the baud rate isn't set to 38400...

adriacabeza

No, I was trying to use just the apm/mission planner. Should I buy a FTDI interface to connect the GPS to the PC? Is it gonna solve the problem?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Not to mention most Arduino boards have an FTDI built into it. If you've got one handy you might be able to get away with "stealing" the connections though the shield headers.

I was able to use the FTDI on an Arduino Nano board to reprogram mine . . . unfortunately that was quite a while ago so the "how" has faded into the mists.

adriacabeza

OK, thank you very much. I'll try with that.

PS:How should I connect the FTDI adapter to my Ublox NEO 6M, you know. What do I need?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
OK, thank you very much. I'll try with that.

PS:How should I connect the FTDI adapter to my Ublox NEO 6M, you know. What do I need?

That link I posted from the DIYDrones website shows some cable pinouts that you would need to make to connect to a FTDI or Arduino board... it's basically a serial interface, so you connect the power, ground, and RX-gps to TX-ftdi and TX-gps to RX-ftdi signal pins (sort of a simplified null modem cable).

As Dan mentioned, if you already have an Arduino, that's all you'd need in addition to the cable. Apparently 3DR does sell a suitable cable if you didn't want to make your own. If you have jumper cables, it's also possible to just jury rig the connection for a one-time flashing/configuration by force fitting the male pins into the GPS plug, and the female pins into the arduino/FTDI pins.