Problem with sma connector

Fraser

Hi guys i have ran into my first real problem with fpv.

I got my video transmitter 5.8 system and got a set of clover leaf antennas. i went to set it all up and have ran into a problem with the sma connectors. My tansmitter has a male plug with the wire sticking out, i suppose you could call it male and male. This then inserts into female plug with the wire.

Weirdly my antennas have come with a female connector, but it has the male wire plug inside. So they will not mate. Ive searched for adapters but i have no idea what it is im searching for.

Can anyone clear up what is going on ?

Fraser

Well i found it, since my goggling turned up nothing here is the part i needed.

adaptor RP-SMA connector Plug female pin -SMA jack female pin CH-RAP-AJ

Turns out rpsma is the reverse set up to sma. So the pins are reversed inside. Might help someone in the same situation i hope

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thanks for the update Fraser -- getting the connectors right is always a pain, and RF connectors are so specialized it only make is worse.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

RoyBro

Mentor
A few of us ran into the same situation. It turns out that RP-SMA is supposedly the new standard of SMA. I found this picture showing the difference...

Tableau+SMA-RPSMA.png

lonewolf7717

Fortunately those adapters are cheap as peanuts on ebay....shipping will cost more than the adapter so go ahead and grab a couple sets. Sad side note, can't just walk into a Radio Shack anymore....not like when I was a kid.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Well you *can* just walk into a Radio shack . . . but you're more likely to walk out with a cellphone you don't need than the coupler you do.

Hate being rude, but their first question is always "can I help you?" and my reply is always "no." Only hit one time in the last 5 years, when I was wrong . . . and that was because they were hiding the part in the back :mad: