Problems building ft versa

Kkppww91

Hi, just wondering if anyone has built a ft versa from 6mm depron. Ive been trying to build one but I am failing. Its my first ever scratchbuild ive attempted. I managed to cut all the plans out but when it comes to score cutting all the lines in the wing allowing it to bend to make dihedral the foam just snaps.

I have had to tape over where it has snapped but then it's not allowing me to get the right lines in the bend and is also not as strong.

image.jpg here is a picture

Kkppww91

Will that be strong enough to hold it? And do I still glue the folds? I'm grateful of other people opinions as I don't like straying to far off the normal build routine due to my lack of experience. :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yes it should be fine with tape on the outside. It takes the place of the paper normally on the surface of the foam used by the Flitetest crew on their builds. Since you are using bare depron, you have to have something to replace the paper. Tape is a good substitute. You will still need to glue the folds as they show in the build videos.

And welcome to the forum! Please feel free to join in the discussions or post any other questions you might have!

jd7792

The other option is to build a combat wing using one of the many plans available on this site. Depron will always snap when bent too far, but makes great planes if using the right plans.
good luck!

kingbee

Hi kkppww

welcome . i agree with xuzme and jd7792 i would use color packing tape and cover all of the outside wing and hot glue your inside bend while folding it .

Kkppww91

Thanks for your help. Its given me a greater understanding of depron.
I have some green tape aswell as packing tape I could give a try. Failing that I will pick a different delta wing plan. I will keep you updated on my progress, even though its at a snails pace at the moment due to lack of experience.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Well, if it helps any, just keep in mind that everyone starts somewhere and we all were right where you are right now at one time.