Problems trying to mount 1806 motor to Mini Firewall...

I've spent two hours trying unsuccessfully to mount an 1806 motor to a Mini firewall (this is for a Mini Mustang.) I even tried it with just the extra firewall that comes in the Speed-Build Kit.

My problem is that once I get one hole engaged in the back of the motor (say either the top or bottom hole,) I can't get any screw to engage in another hole. Of course, you can't see the holes because you're screwing through the back of the firewall. It doesn't help that the instructions have you wait until you've glued and taped the firewall to the mini power pod, which makes everything more cramped.

I do realize that there is a slight difference in the hole pitch for each pair of holes that are oriented 90 degrees to each other, and I've accounted for that.

Anyone have any build tips for this? Many thanks!

GliderFlyer

Elite member
I don't know if you know this, but as I recall, the holes do not all lie on the same circumference. I am bad at explaining certain things, so I made a visual
Left is correct motor holes.JPG Right is not correct
The holes on the firewall line up that way too, so if I am guessing correctly, the pitch you are talking about might be the holes not lining up. I assume you already tried rotating the motor 90 degrees though.
I hope you can figure it out soon.

M

MCNC

If your measurements center to center on the motor holes and the firewall holes seem correct to you, you may have to wallow out your firewall holes just a little and push the screws all the way through before you start to tighten. When one side grabs thread, stop and work the other before you tighten.

@MacClarkNC's got it just right. With almost every firewall I make I have the same issue. The alignment of those screws has to be really correct for the threads to bite. As he said, get one just started, then go to the other one while you have a tiny bit of play to work with.

Flyingshark

Master member
I've spent two hours trying unsuccessfully to mount an 1806 motor to a Mini firewall (this is for a Mini Mustang.) I even tried it with just the extra firewall that comes in the Speed-Build Kit.

My problem is that once I get one hole engaged in the back of the motor (say either the top or bottom hole,) I can't get any screw to engage in another hole. Of course, you can't see the holes because you're screwing through the back of the firewall. It doesn't help that the instructions have you wait until you've glued and taped the firewall to the mini power pod, which makes everything more cramped.

I do realize that there is a slight difference in the hole pitch for each pair of holes that are oriented 90 degrees to each other, and I've accounted for that.

I put the tape on a firewall and screw the motor on before gluing and taping everything to the power pod. It's kind of risky, but it works for me. For the larger firewalls I just do it the way they say in the build video. I tend to need to hold the motor against the plywood to make sure the short screws will engage the threaded holes in the motor.

Before I started doing this, I had problems with accidentally angling the allen wrench in such a way that it popped the screw out of the hole in the motor.

If your measurements center to center on the motor holes and the firewall holes seem correct to you, you may have to wallow out your firewall holes just a little and push the screws all the way through before you start to tighten. When one side grabs thread, stop and work the other before you tighten.
Thanks, I'll try that.

@MacClarkNC's got it just right. With almost every firewall I make I have the same issue. The alignment of those screws has to be really correct for the threads to bite. As he said, get one just started, then go to the other one while you have a tiny bit of play to work with.
Thanks, Monte. I think I'll also have to do what Flyingshark does, and put the motor on the firewall before gluing it to the power pod.

I put the tape on a firewall and screw the motor on before gluing and taping everything to the power pod. It's kind of risky, but it works for me. For the larger firewalls I just do it the way they say in the build video. I tend to need to hold the motor against the plywood to make sure the short screws will engage the threaded holes in the motor.

Before I started doing this, I had problems with accidentally angling the allen wrench in such a way that it popped the screw out of the hole in the motor.
Thanks, I'm going to try it your way, mounting the motor on the firewall, and then attaching that assembly to the power pod.

How do you apply the tape afterwards, with the motor on the firewall?

Thanks!

Intashu

Elite member
Thanks, I'm going to try it your way, mounting the motor on the firewall, and then attaching that assembly to the power pod.

Thanks!
You can either cut a slot/notch that goes around the motor completely, or just tape the edges if you want to risk it. (or just thin bands above and below the motor)

I'd draw the motor circle size on the tape and either use a razor blade to cut it out, or fold it in half (non adhesive sides together) to cut it out, All before sticking it to the motor pod... then apply it around the motor that way.

Flyingshark

Master member

Thanks!
Take a piece of packing tape and stretch it over the firewall, leaving several inches of excess on each side. Then poke through the tape where you need to to mount the motor, and screw the motor on. Put a thin bead of hot glue on the edge of the firewall, where it will attach to the foam part of the pod. Then, just line it up, and stick it on the pod before the glue dries completely. After that, it’s easy to take that excess tape and pull it down and attach it to each side of the pod: like if you were attaching a firewall normally. You should probably trim off the tape that’s over the edge of the foam, but other than that, you’re done.

I hope that makes sense, if I can find some pictures to add, I will.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member

The mounting holes on the left and right are for mounting a 2204/05 motor, holes on top and bottom are for mounting an 1806, as I recall these power pods only use two screws to mount the motor to the firewall

Flyingshark

Master member
The mounting holes on the left and right are for mounting a 2204/05 motor, holes on top and bottom are for mounting an 1806, as I recall these power pods only use two screws to mount the motor to the firewall
The FT "radial" mini motors (1806/2205) can both use the left/right holes.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
don't recall him saying he had an FT radial, just said an 1806 .
don't recall him saying he had an FT radial, just said an 1806 .
The FT "radial" mini motors (1806/2205) can both use the left/right holes.
and so when I got home I pulled out my FT radials 1806 and 2205, and no they both can't use the left and right mounting points. Josh also points this out in the build video for that plane and I was pretty sure about this having built 6 mighty minis myself using both size engines, all of my 1806 motors use the top and bottom firewall points