Help! Problems with Battery

Om0r A.

Hello everyone! I have a Passport P1 Mini battery charger and an E-Flite 3S 11.1V 2200mAh battery. I bought these 2-3 months ago with the Night Radian (I had two batteries at the time) and after having an accident while flying, I was left with one battery, my transmitter, and the charger. When I originally first purchased the batteries, both were overcharged, and the charger told me CELL ERROR. After discharging them, the batteries started working and I flew. Skip to present day, and my charger is now leaving me the error CONNECTION BREAK. After some research, I assumed that the banana plug's cable was broken. However, I switched to the NiMa setting and tried to charge it. It worked; for a few seconds, the charger read that the battery had 1.2V or so. After a few seconds, the battery appeared to have 8.5V or so. I allowed it to charge to 9.1V and then returned to the LiPo setting. I tried to the charge setting, storage, and a few others. All of them gave me the message CELL ERROR. I then tried to discharge the battery and was greeted by the message CONNECTION BREAK once again. After trying the others, the same message was repeated. I went back to the NiMa setting and tried to charge it again, this time charging it to 10.1V. I returned to LiPo and tried the charge setting and storage. I got the error CELL ERROR again. However, this time, when I went to discharge the discharge worked. The discharge went until 9.59V and then stopped. I tried all the other settings and kept receiving CELL ERROR again. i tried this a couple more times and the same thing happened each time. What can I do to fix this? Thank you and sorry for the long question.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes one pin on a balance lead doesn’t make a connection. Reconnecting the balance lead, pushing the individual wires in.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I hate to say it, but once a lipo cell has gone below ~3.0V, it's going to be permanently damaged and anything you do with it is just going to be more dangerous unless it's retiring it. How did it get to an overcharge condition in the first place? That's also another big, dangerous condition and you should try your best to figure out how it got that way and prevent it in the future. One possible reason might be a bad parallel connector on either the charger or battery.

Reactions: FDS

Om0r A.

I hate to say it, but once a lipo cell has gone below ~3.0V, it's going to be permanently damaged and anything you do with it is just going to be more dangerous unless it's retiring it. How did it get to an overcharge condition in the first place? That's also another big, dangerous condition and you should try your best to figure out how it got that way and prevent it in the future. One possible reason might be a bad parallel connector on either the charger or battery.
When we first received the batteries, they were overcharged. I'm assuming it happened in manufacturing or something. Also, I'm not sure if the 1.2V or so was accurate in the first place because it only lasted a few seconds and was on the wrong setting anyway. Are you recommending I buy a new one?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Do you have a photo of your charger setup, preferably with the screen on the charger showing clearly? That will help to determine what's wrong. A new lipo when purchased is usually at storage charge, where each cell will be at ~ 3.8V each. When fully charged, they will be at 4.2V. Do you have a multimeter or a lipo checker that you can connect to the balance connector to check each cell voltage?

If you have a multimeter, touch the prob to each adjoining pair of connectors, starting with the negative/black lead (keeping black / negative probe in the same order next to the red probe as you move each probe down the connector).

If the charger isn't set to LiPo charge, for a 3S battery, with a charge rate of 2.2A (2200mA), that might explain the error readings.

Om0r A.

Do you have a photo of your charger setup, preferably with the screen on the charger showing clearly? That will help to determine what's wrong. A new lipo when purchased is usually at storage charge, where each cell will be at ~ 3.8V each. When fully charged, they will be at 4.2V. Do you have a multimeter or a lipo checker that you can connect to the balance connector to check each cell voltage?

If you have a multimeter, touch the prob to each adjoining pair of connectors, starting with the negative/black lead (keeping black / negative probe in the same order next to the red probe as you move each probe down the connector).

If the charger isn't set to LiPo charge, for a 3S battery, with a charge rate of 2.2A (2200mA), that might explain the error readings.
I will try to see if I have a multimeter, and if not, I will use one from my school on Monday. I'll start with changing my ampage. Ihave it set to 2.0 amps. I'll get back to you soon.

Bricks

Master member
Cell error is usually a bad cell or broken connection in the pack it self or in the balance connector. Your charger should show 11 something volts if all 3 cells are good by the looks of it it does not as you are only getting 9 volts out of it..

Om0r A.

I will try to see if I have a multimeter, and if not, I will use one from my school on Monday. I'll start with changing my ampage. Ihave it set to 2.0 amps. I'll get back to you soon.
Cell error is usually a bad cell or broken connection in the pack it self or in the balance connector. Your charger should show 11 something volts if all 3 cells are good by the looks of it it does not as you are only getting 9 volts out of it..
So are you saying my battery is ineffective? Do I just need to get a new one?

Om0r A.

I tried to set it to 2.2 amps with no success. The display is still showing Cell Error.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If you do have a broken wire on the balance lead, it is possible to repair.

Artemis Fowl

Hello everyone! I have a Passport P1 Mini battery charger and an E-Flite 3S 11.1V 2200mAh battery. I bought these 2-3 months ago with the Night Radian (I had two batteries at the time) and after having an accident while flying, I was left with one battery, my transmitter, and the charger. When I originally first purchased the batteries, both were overcharged, and the charger told me CELL ERROR. After discharging them, the batteries started working and I flew. Skip to present day, and my charger is now leaving me the error CONNECTION BREAK. After some research, I assumed that the banana plug's cable was broken. However, I switched to the NiMa setting and tried to charge it. It worked; for a few seconds, the charger read that the battery had 1.2V or so. After a few seconds, the battery appeared to have 8.5V or so. I allowed it to charge to 9.1V and then returned to the LiPo setting. I tried to the charge setting, storage, and a few others. All of them gave me the message CELL ERROR. I then tried to discharge the battery and was greeted by the message CONNECTION BREAK once again. After trying the others, the same message was repeated. I went back to the NiMa setting and tried to charge it again, this time charging it to 10.1V. I returned to LiPo and tried the charge setting and storage. I got the error CELL ERROR again. However, this time, when I went to discharge the discharge worked. The discharge went until 9.59V and then stopped. I tried all the other settings and kept receiving CELL ERROR again. i tried this a couple more times and the same thing happened each time. What can I do to fix this? Thank you and sorry for the long question.

Did you ever resolve this? I've been having similar problems with a Passport P1 charger and I think the problem is the charger. I have 2 batteries that are the same. One charges just fine, the other doesn't. I've switched the leads from the good battery to the bad one, so I know it's not any of the wires from the charger all the way to the battery.

Thoughts?

Bricks

Master member
Did you check voltage on your battery that will not charge, many of these smart chargers will not charge a battery if to low on voltage.

Om0r A.

Did you ever resolve this? I've been having similar problems with a Passport P1 charger and I think the problem is the charger. I have 2 batteries that are the same. One charges just fine, the other doesn't. I've switched the leads from the good battery to the bad one, so I know it's not any of the wires from the charger all the way to the battery.

Thoughts?
Yeah, if I remember correctly, I was just forgetting to connect the smaller white plug in and was only connecting it through the banana plug. That's why it could discharge and stuff but refused to charge