Problems with Spektrum reciever and emax babyhawk

jdanna

Hi guys, I'm having a bad time trying to configure an SP09X receiver in betaflight on a Emax babyhawk.

The first receiver I got was DOA and wouldnt go into bind mode. The seller sent me a new one, and the new one goes into bind mode just fine, and binds to my DX6E just fine.

I have UART3 set as serial RX, and in configuration the receiver is set to serial based and SPEKTRUM2048.
When I go into the receiver tab, all the values just pop to 0. I tried configuring and binding it as SPEKTRUM1024, and again that bound fine - but also didn't show anything in the receiver tab.

If i put an oscilliscope on the serial port on the flight controller - I can see the serial data signal, and watch it change around as I move the controls. And obviously the FC is talking to the receiver - since it can put it in and out of bind mode just fine.

Right now I have the receiver wired to 3.3v, because I couldn't find a definitive answer to if it can handle 5v and I didn't want to fry it.

I've tried fully resetting the betaflight config and rebinding, and it doesn't help. What else can I try? Is it possible resetting the config messed something up? (I had also reset it before with my DOA receiver trying to troubleshoot that)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Here are the specs for that receiver.

Specs:
• Frequency Range: 2.403-2.479Ghz
• Input Power: 5V
• Response Time: 22ms / 11ms
• Resolution: 1024/2048
• Operating Voltage: 3.3V
• Working Current: 60MA
• Size: 18x13x5mm
• Weight: 0.9g
• Antenna Length: 30mm
• Data Format: Serial port
• Protocol: DSM2/DSMX compatible
• Distance: 200m

And here is a video how to bind it and check it. this same procedure works in any of the "flight" systems.

jdanna

Here are the specs for that receiver.

Specs:
• Frequency Range: 2.403-2.479Ghz
• Input Power: 5V
• Response Time: 22ms / 11ms
• Resolution: 1024/2048
• Operating Voltage: 3.3V
• Working Current: 60MA
• Size: 18x13x5mm
• Weight: 0.9g
• Antenna Length: 30mm
• Data Format: Serial port
• Protocol: DSM2/DSMX compatible
• Distance: 200m

And here is a video how to bind it and check it. this same procedure works in any of the "flight" systems.

Thanks - yea mine works perfectly all the way up to going to the receiver tab and showing data.
All the specs i've found say 3.3-5v input, but I've seen some postings saying that its really only 3.3v and the specs are mis-written or mis-translated.

The first one I got I had connected to 5v, so I'm a bit worried to connect this one to 5v as well. Maybe it wasn't DOA after all, and the 5v killed it?

Either way I'm pretty sure I've got it wired right since the commands to take it in and out of bind mode work perfectly, and I'm actually seeing the serial signal on the pin on the flight controller.

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Make sure you are running the newest betaflight configurator and flash the FC to the latest stable firmware.