Problems with Wizard x220

tval

I flew this dang quad about a year ago. I crashed it and an esc blew into flames. I have decided to make it a project and try to fix it. I bought 2 new esc's, both were recommended online, and neither worked. I found out that the supply voltage coming from the board is much lower for the new esc (around .2) than the others (all 15.83). I dont know what to do from here, because it isnt the esc that is the problem, but the motherboard. Is there anything I can do?

kdobson83

Check your solder points to make sure they aren't cracked. Is the current good on the other 3?
Chances are good that your mainboard has issues. You could contact banggood and see if they'll ship you a new mainboard.

tval

Check your solder points to make sure they aren't cracked. Is the current good on the other 3?
Chances are good that your mainboard has issues. You could contact banggood and see if they'll ship you a new mainboard.
The current is good for the other 3 esc's, and those motors all run fine. I checked the motherboard, and there didnt seem to be any cracks. Would a picture be beneficial? If so, of what?

Reactions: FDS

tval

Good on you for tracing down the problem! :D

A replacement PDB for the Wizard is pretty cheap, just have to deal with uncertain shipping times from Banggood

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Wi...rt-5V-12V-PDB-p-1183324.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Pretty much any generic quad PDB should work too, just check the dimensions to make sure it'll fit.
The part on my drone that isnt working doesnt look like that...Its called "MATEK Systems Mini Power Hub". Should i order a new one? I'd rather not if i can repair the issue.

FDS

Elite member
The Matek PDB is cheap enough. Is there any voltage output from the PDB?
Under $6 on Banggood
You need to separate all the components and test them. Take pictures of how it’s wired before de soldering wires. VTX should have a light on to show if it’s getting power. Do NOT run it WITHOUT an antenna.

tval

The Matek PDB is cheap enough. Is there any voltage output from the PDB?
Under $6 on Banggood
You need to separate all the components and test them. Take pictures of how it’s wired before de soldering wires. VTX should have a light on to show if it’s getting power. Do NOT run it WITHOUT an antenna.
No light on the vtx :/ . Only have the two wires from the non-functioning esc desoldered. Should I desolder or check anything else?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Is your lipo fully charged?

Hate to ask but need to. :)

Have you seen the smokestopper? I find it useful when I start digging for trouble with my soldering iron.

For the VTX to power you need a charged lipo, solid connection from the lipo to the PDB, a good PDB, and a solid connection from the PDB to the VTX. Can you check those connections and look for breaks or loose solder joints?

Does your VTX take full battery power (12V to 32V) or is there a voltage regulator or BEC on the PDB? If there is a component such as a BEC or step down regulator, look hard at how that component is connected to ensure it is not loose as a result of a crash.

If there are no such things and your VTX takes full voltage you can probably bypass the PDB by connecting the VTX to the main power pads or any other full power pad on the PDB.

Or just buy a new PDB. @FDS is spot on with the cost and the tip about the VTX antenna.

Same rules apply for the ESC.

Again, I Highly recommend use of a smokestopper. :)

tval

Is your lipo fully charged?

Hate to ask but need to. :)

Have you seen the smokestopper? I find it useful when I start digging for trouble with my soldering iron.

For the VTX to power you need a charged lipo, solid connection from the lipo to the PDB, a good PDB, and a solid connection from the PDB to the VTX. Can you check those connections and look for breaks or loose solder joints?

Does your VTX take full battery power (12V to 32V) or is there a voltage regulator or BEC on the PDB? If there is a component such as a BEC or step down regulator, look hard at how that component is connected to ensure it is not loose as a result of a crash.

If there are no such things and your VTX takes full voltage you can probably bypass the PDB by connecting the VTX to the main power pads or any other full power pad on the PDB.

Or just buy a new PDB. @FDS is spot on with the cost and the tip about the VTX antenna.

Same rules apply for the ESC.

Again, I Highly recommend use of a smokestopper. :)
I am charging the battery now. It reads "ALL 16.0". I don't believe this stock banggood wizard came with a BEC, but Im really not certain on how to check for one. Where should I find the main power pads? My VTX also says its 7-24V, so should I be able to connect it to the 12V pads on the PDB? Or should I leave that for something else?

tval

Im getting readings of about 140 V when the non-functioning esc is NOT connected, and readings of about .6 V when it is...

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Funny thing about experience is that to get any, you have to try.

Everyone starts somewhere. Every great wizard was once just like you. :)

Soldering is a big part of multirotors. It's not hard. A million people in the world do it every day. It requires patience and the proper tools.

I think any way you slice it, you need to solder to fix this. You can try to bypass a few parts or replace and rewire the whole thing.

Your call. Keep safety in mind as you make this decision.

Seriously, make and build a smokestopper. Every time mine flashes, it saves me $20 and a week of the reek of burnt ESC in my shop.

If you can do this, you can build your own copter. At that point, you have no reason to fear crashes, so fly it like you stole it! :devilish:

FDS

Elite member
I would replace the PDB, it’s not much and will save you time. Then start looking at each component in turn to check it.
It’s neater to use the PDB vs wires and getting a clean signal for video will be easier using the smoothed outputs off the PDB.
Smoke stopper is such a useful tool, pays for itself super fast!