Professional Aerial Videography Helicopter Question

saundw

I am getting into professional videography. I am moving past multi-rotors and on to real R.C. Heli's. I need a platform that is able to carry a Canon 60d in a 360 pan mount as well as be fairly stable. The heli also needs to be relatively easy to fly and easy to assemble. I wouldn't prefer a kit, but if it's necessary I would go for that. I would really prefer a PNF, BNF or ARF. Thanks guys.

-Will

P.S.
I would've posted this thread in the heli category but nobody really looks there ;)

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have no advise here but I hope you have "Deep" pockets. It will not be cheap. Most professional setups I have seen are 6 or 8 motor multi's which can maintain flight with some motor failures. Some of them go for multi thousands of dollars for a "professional" level platform.

Thurmond

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Yes, I think you into some money here. Bigger flies better. An electric or gas heli is going to be the way if you don't want a multirotor. Something in the 700 plus range. They make all kinds of camera mounts for those. Everyone I've talked to says that the JR Vibe helis are the best built, highest quality. I think you may be in a different realm though.

I suggest looking here at the Aerial videography and photography section of the helifreak forums. These guys seems to know their stuff and it's an all helicopter all the time forum.
http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

here's a video there of an octocopter carrying a sony video camera. Pretty cool stuff.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
You know, multirotors seem to be far better - they are much more stable, and the more motors they have, the less they drift.

saundw

Who am I kidding- I love multirotors. My first step will be FPVManuals Tricopter kit with Go-Pro. Any motor suggestions from hobbyking for that kit? (that are in stock)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Who am I kidding- I love multirotors. My first step will be FPVManuals Tricopter kit with Go-Pro. Any motor suggestions from hobbyking for that kit? (that are in stock)

You know, I think you could do a similar frame yourself for a tenth of the price - if you're willing to do the work.

saundw

I would, but I don't trust myself to do as good of a job on the frame. Plus, the yaw mechanism on the FPVManuals Tricopter kit is awesome.

treadd

Uber N00b
Does anyone know if the FAA has come up with their rules for 'commercial UAVs' yet?

I've read that some companies here in the US that did aerial photography using RC vehicles have had to resort to full size aircraft. :(

Here is an article from January talking about how realtors have had to stop using FPV planes/multi-rotors for showcasing houses for sale due to the current restrictions.

http://photographyforrealestate.net/2012/01/24/warning-faa-says-us-airspace-is-closed-to-all-commercial/

Hopefully my info is old and they have figured this out! If not, better to be aware of it than have some hand-wringer call and complain. Of course that's not to say you cant, but just be aware. :)

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
There is a 100lb limit and a 400' ceiling on "hobby use". The rule is purposely ambiguous at this point so my take is any use within that guideline is not prohibited as long as common sense prevails in safe operation.

If you want to get totally around the issue then used a balloon with a RC steering mechanism and camera gear but tethered to a ground based object.

Thurmond

Last edited: