Profile F-15

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I've seen plans for them but I cant find a simple F-15. Does any one have a link to one, have plans they can share or help me get a few technical pictures I have into a PDF that can be printed out? I want to try some thing but I don't have the plans to build it

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Thanks monkey! Teach I saw that but it's more involved then what I want to do. I'm gonna use the minwax trick on this one as well. Nico hobbies sells this kit like the ft speed build kits as well. Only thing that weird is it uses such a high kv motor it's uses a 4" prop. Vids of the plane shows this thing screaming along and flying real well slowly. I don't know if I want to stick with elevons or make it a bank and yank and add ailerons to the elevators

CrashRecovery

Mentor
i haven't seen many 4" props on planes that are not indoor stuff. I think my champ is a 4 inch prop

CrashRecovery

Mentor
I guess I'm used to slow fly low kv. I impressed the guys at work with the beat to hell F18 last night. Had a good strong wind but it flew. I think the next one might just stay the normal build with out the pod. It makes placing electronics easier and allows for adjusting cg easier I think. My only question is this, and it might just be the full size one but they use a bent cf rod. I don't know if I have that. Could a thicker piece of music wire be used. I have some that I bought by mistake that I could bend like that but don't expect a decent z bend. I also will have to get out the dremel to cut it

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
They used the CF to save weight. You can use anything, bamboo skewers, metal push rod, whatever will transfer the energy from the servo to the control horn.

I've used the bamboo skewer, with short sections of metal rod. A z bend at one end, and a simple 90 degree at the other. Drill a hole through the skewer and push the 90 degree bend through. Wrap with thread and seal with CA glue.

Saves weight, and is strong.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
You missed what I was saying. The designer used a bent length of cf for a stiffener for the plane. I guess I was clear. It goes from one wing to the other in a bent shape

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Ahhhh

I wouldn't use metal for that. I've used both round and square dowels in that application.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
That's the one I'm gonna build. Like I said on nicohobby.com you can build his version of a speed build kit for that and a few others. He even has the power combos for them right on his site. I think the guy who designed these planes should meet up with the ft guys

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I know the guy who owns that shop. He came to fly with us at a little Thanksgiving Fly In we had just south of Tallahassee.

You know it was a good time, because the cops showed up.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Well his design is what I used for the F-18. I think I am just going to cut this one out and buy the power combo that they recommend. I might do his modified elevator/aileron.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Another question regarding this plane. Looking at the other parkjet design it has the square tubes for the engine area. Say I was considering changing over the propulsion design and use two edf motors mounted in those pods. First the plans will have to be blown up so that the engine tubes are in scale to the rest of the plane. That's not the problem, that can be blown up and printed out. And the tubes can be made using the experimental airlines tube design and trimmed to fit and look like the engine intakes are supposed to look like after its built and mounted. If they were to be used where would they have to be mounted in the engine pod? Up front, in the back or according to a percentage of the length of the tube? It's really getting me thinking about going this way. The only things I don't know is where the motors get placed and how to wire up the motors. Do I use a esc for each motor and use a "y" adapter into the the receiver for the throttle control? Do I use a "y" again for a larger battery or do I just run two smaller batteries for each esc? I'm probably making this harder then it should be

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Got my electronics from nicohobbies.com. Boy this stuff is small

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg