Program used to make plans?

Hey guys, how do people make nice plans drawn on the computer? What program(s) can I use to make plans like FliteTest or other users do? It'd be nice if there was a free program out there that I could use!

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
There are some free image programs out there, but you don't really want an image program for designing.

Adobe Illustrator is a good program, but $200. If you are a student you may be able to get a discount on the price for getting the Student version (limits you to not useing the program to make money from what you create. how they track that, I dont know).

If you are useing Mac, there is CADintosh, a $35 CAD program. I use CADintosh for all my plans, but am looking at getting a newer version of illustrator.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Many people use Sketchup since it free, as powerful as you want it to be (free plugins), and has a relatively short learning curve.

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
i totally forgot about Sketchup. You want one of the older versions though. RCG has a good walkthrough on how to use it, and even a link to the older version thats beter for plan making and the plugin that lets you "unfold" a modle into plans

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920416

Please note though, that if you have experiance with other 3D programs or CAD, the learning curve will be a bit harder since its so unlike other programs. I cant use Sketchup because of my past experiance with 3d programs and CAD. Just cant get my head around it :p

baronbernie

Something else you will want to remember, is that if you want to have plans to cut out or build over the program must be able to save and print out PDF files.

I have used Sketchup before but only briefly. I didn't think of that so I might give that a try! And I have used AutoCAD LT 2006 quite a bit in school but I won't have access to that after I graduate in a few weeks

hotwax

I have a good time dawing with "LibreCAD" and it is free! The only problem is, that there is no description. But on Youtube you find several howto-videos. I liked the channel of "TheReimber" most.

For converting the plan to pdf I used the "Nitro PDF Reader", which is also free. It installs as a virtual printer.

Werner

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
You know, I tried inkscape but I did not like the interface. Hard to beat the price but to make a 3D model and interpolate ribs and formers its harder to beat sketchup. Many plugins will take your 3D model and slice it up and put it on a plane for you. If you want a DXF to CNC or laser cut your parts its a plugin and export away. I've also used Sketchup in conjunction with my wife's SilhouetteSD to cut parts or graphics.

Attachments

• IMG_6836.jpg
    IMG_6836.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6878.jpg
    IMG_6878.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 42

Hedchange

I have a good time dawing with "LibreCAD" and it is free! The only problem is, that there is no description. But on Youtube you find several howto-videos. I liked the channel of "TheReimber" most.

For converting the plan to pdf I used the "Nitro PDF Reader", which is also free. It installs as a virtual printer.

Werner

+1 That is what I use, and its similar to AutoCAD