Project ideas...

cslemke

I'm big into scale modeling and with the discovery of foam flying I'm diving back into RC... planning on getting the FliteTest SE5 Mini to get me back into form.But I'm gonna need to build my own toy... I'm thinking of an EDF Fieseler Fi 103R, Reichenberg (a piloted version of the V-1 Flying Bomb) later I might have to build the Flying Wing from Indiana Jones ;)

So is there a good weight to thrust calculator for small scale EDFs? I'm planning on keeping to small scale builds...for now.

Wiki on the Fi-203R

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I'm big into scale modeling and with the discovery of foam flying I'm diving back into RC... planning on getting the FliteTest SE5 Mini to get me back into form.But I'm gonna need to build my own toy... I'm thinking of an EDF Fieseler Fi 103R, Reichenberg (a piloted version of the V-1 Flying Bomb) later I might have to build the Flying Wing from Indiana Jones ;)

So is there a good weight to thrust calculator for small scale EDFs? I'm planning on keeping to small scale builds...for now.

Wiki on the Fi-203R

When you say small scale, what wingspan are you thinking?

Regarding weight to thrust, for EDFs you will want to target >0.5 thrust to all up weight ratio and higher is better.

Once we have an idea of the scale you intend to build, selection of an EDF should be pretty easy depending on where you want to place it (in the fuse or in the pulse jet).

If it's on the pulse jet you will need to play with the thrust angle a little to avoid significant nose down under throttle.

DamoRC

cslemke

When you say small scale, what wingspan are you thinking?

Regarding weight to thrust, for EDFs you will want to target >0.5 thrust to all up weight ratio and higher is better.

Once we have an idea of the scale you intend to build, selection of an EDF should be pretty easy depending on where you want to place it (in the fuse or in the pulse jet).

If it's on the pulse jet you will need to play with the thrust angle a little to avoid significant nose down under throttle.

DamoRC
Yah my thought would be the pulse jet will need a more aggressive angle than that of the real V1
I'm thinking of a 32" main wing wingspan

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Yah my thought would be the pulse jet will need a more aggressive angle than that of the real V1
I'm thinking of a 32" main wing wingspan

The one in the vid was 37" wingspan and was powered with a 70mm EDF crammed inside the front of the pulse jet. At 32 inches you might be able to cram a 64mm in there but more likely a 50mm.

You can see more details here.

DamoRC.

cslemke

The one in the vid was 37" wingspan and was powered with a 70mm EDF crammed inside the front of the pulse jet. At 32 inches you might be able to cram a 64mm in there but more likely a 50mm.

You can see more details here.

DamoRC.
Hmm 50mm I'd say my plan would be to scale my blueprints to the EDF if I go with a 50mm then scale the entire craft for the ream jet to fit that size EDF then I think that might shorten my wingspan a little. These did have pretty stubby wings.