2jujube7

Hi everyone,

I've been building and flying Flite Test planes for about 6 months now, and I'm currently lucky enough to be in school, not online. I feel pretty confident in both my flying and designing abilities. I have a study hall currently planned for my second semester in high school (10th grade), but I'd like to do an independent study instead. Because of my school's currently weird schedule, I would have around 30-60 total hours during school to work, and maybe some time outside of school if I could work on my project and not finish it all up before the school year ends. :D The only thing that I'm having trouble with is figuring out a topic to do my independent study on. The topic should hopefully be anything RC plane related, but I'm thinking specifically about airplane design? One of my ideas is to "enter" into one of the USAF contracts such as the ATF (Advanced Tactical Fighter, the program that the YF-23 and the F-22 fought for), the F/A-XX program (Which is current and is looking for a replacement for the F/A-18), the LWF (lightweight fighter program, which ended up with the F-16 as the winner), or the OA-X (recent 21st century program looking for a cheap light attack plane). It would be cool to "enter" one of these programs and design, build, and test out my own design and see roughly how it would compare to the planes that were chosen for real. If anyone else wants, we could make this a challenge on the forum and have a few people enter and compare their designs at the end. :D Another Idea that I had was to start up my own little business that needle cuts out customer's plans and ships them to people who want a "custom" SBK. In addition, I was thinking that it would be cool to design my own plane (one per month) and cut/ship them to people on a subscription service. It wouldn't be anything special, but would be a variety of planes such as a DLG, speedster, bomber, canard, bushplane, trainer, glider, etc. I've been thinking of trying this idea for quite a while on my own, and I just realized that it might work for an independent study. Anyone else have any other ideas about what I could do, or comments about the two current ideas that I have?

Thanks!

Last edited:

slowjo

Master member
Hi everyone,

I've been building and flying Flite Test planes for about 6 months now, and I'm currently lucky enough to be in school, not online. I feel pretty confident in both my flying and designing abilities. I have a study hall currently planned for my second semester in high school (10th grade), but I'd like to do an independent study instead. Because of my school's currently weird schedule, I would have around 30-60 total hours during school to work, and maybe some time outside of school if I could work on my project and not finish it all up before the school year ends. :D The only thing that I'm having trouble with is figuring out a topic to do my independent study on. The topic should hopefully be anything RC plane related, but I'm thinking specifically about airplane design? One of my ideas is to "enter" into one of the USAF contracts such as the ATF (Advanced Tactical Fighter, the program that the YF-23 and the F-22 fought for), the F/A-XX program (Which is current and is looking for a replacement for the F/A-18), the LWF (lightweight fighter program, which ended up with the F-16 as the winner), or the OA-X (recent 21st century program looking for a cheap light attack plane). It would be cool to "enter" one of these programs and design, build, and test out my own design and see roughly how it would compare to the planes that were chosen for real. If anyone else wants, we could make this a challenge on the forum and have a few people enter and compare their designs at the end. :D Another Idea that I had was to start up my own little business that needle cuts out customer's plans and ships them to people who want a "custom" SBK. In addition, I was thinking that it would be cool to design my own plane (one per month) and cut/ship them to people on a subscription service. It wouldn't be anything special, but would be a variety of planes such as a DLG, speedster, bomber, canard, bushplane, trainer, glider, etc. I've been thinking of trying this idea for quite a while on my own, and I just realized that it might work for an independent study. Anyone else have any other ideas about what I could do, or comments about the two current ideas that I have?

Thanks!
wish u well on ur studies , SlowJo