Projector Madness! FoamyDM - Vance's Viking

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@BATTLEAXE - Thanks. It was easy, and turned out well. I missed the stripe on the Cowl. and I was going to put in a cardstock liner in the Canopy. Should I get it flying well...

...Bringing me to the Maiden Flight. Yesterday I went to make the 3rd attempt. I set up my Phone Camera. and started recording, (nope). and the FPV gear, all setup (Failed) I gave it a shot. After having the Gear come off (stupid tape), I decided against my better judgement to hand toss it. It Flew. It was responsive. I crashed it.

1595445692982.png <- this is about the extent of the VV footage. it goes fuzz when I put it down. The camera power wires came off.
Oop I lied,

I couldn't tell if it was from Tail-heaviness, or high rates... I was unable to get control but for 5s of battle for control. It was performing un-intentional rolls, immelmann maneuvers, ending in a dive at the ground.

This broke the wing-fuse connection. So not a Total loss, but close. I did lose the magnet in the canopy. I hope my next attempt works better I can FEEL it wanting to Fly.

Things that worked - The magnet work in general at holding the camera on. I just need a post to act as key-pin to lock the direction.

Another attempt soon

Rhaps

Elite member
@BATTLEAXE - Thanks. It was easy, and turned out well. I missed the stripe on the Cowl. and I was going to put in a cardstock liner in the Canopy. Should I get it flying well...

...Bringing me to the Maiden Flight. Yesterday I went to make the 3rd attempt. I set up my Phone Camera. and started recording, (nope). and the FPV gear, all setup (Failed) I gave it a shot. After having the Gear come off (stupid tape), I decided against my better judgement to hand toss it. It Flew. It was responsive. I crashed it.

View attachment 175327 <- this is about the extent of the VV footage. it goes fuzz when I put it down. The camera power wires came off.
Oop I lied,

I couldn't tell if it was from Tail-heaviness, or high rates... I was unable to get control but for 5s of battle for control. It was performing un-intentional rolls, immelmann maneuvers, ending in a dive at the ground.

This broke the wing-fuse connection. So not a Total loss, but close. I did lose the magnet in the canopy. I hope my next attempt works better I can FEEL it wanting to Fly.

Things that worked - The magnet work in general at holding the camera on. I just need a post to act as key-pin to lock the direction.

Another attempt soon
Too bad about maiden, it was such nice looking plane (bit strange looking too but that is just a bonus :))
In my experience new designs are always tail heavy - altough your glide test semmed to go great.
Stabilizers look fairly small, maybe.

FoamyDM

I have updated the plans to include changes I have made along the way.
VV.B1.fdm.072320.JPG
Visit the RESOURCES page to find the free downloadable PDF Version.
This project has been a great experiment for a new process and ended up yielding a great Plane.

Please be my honored guest and download and build/fly one yourself. When you do, please post your progress/questions/Tips here. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
The Future:
I think I may take this and Scale it ~175% and build A C-pack version. Which may yield a great go to plane. When I'm ready look for it here.

Attachments

• VV.B1.fdm.072320.pdf
    536.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

FoamyDM

With Camera, 550mAh Battery, 15g nose weight, Paint, with the plane. Final AUW is 290g.
before I started this, I would have thought it to be 225g. I'm surprised. But it Flies so nice.
Base build - 100 foam sheet +25g glue - 125g
4-9g servos - 36g
pushrods - 8g
Motor - 30g
550mAh 3S Battery - 55g
12A ESC - 15g
connectors 5g
Receiver 4g
450mAh 1s Batter for FPV - 13g
FOV camera with mount and Magnets - 6g.
Adds up.

FoamyDM

Great taste in tunes man, classic of coarse. This has to be one of your better vids for sure
Thanks! I think I'm finding a style. next time I hope the FPV footage isn't like a broken TV.

What kinda flight vids do people enjoy watching. Hat cam. Build montage with flight footage? Voice over?

What kinda flight vids do people enjoy watching. Hat cam. Build montage with flight footage? Voice over?

I like both build time-lapses and split-screen (or similar) with hatcam and FPV. Usually there's some part of the screen where the FPV footage fit when using a hat cam.

I prefer more flight videos with less editing though if time is limited :)

FoamyDM

I like both build time-lapses and split-screen (or similar) with hatcam and FPV. Usually there's some part of the screen where the FPV footage fit when using a hat cam.

I prefer more flight videos with less editing though if time is limited :)
Good feedback. Thanks.

FoamyDM

Tiled plans? Otherwise I don't know how to print them.

in Acrobat Reader 10+ When you open up any PDF plan. in the print dialog you will have to select the Poster Printing for large plans. The base Plan page is 34" x 22", it should print 8 sheets per plan page. Check marks to help you line them up to tape. With this many parts I recommend a light coat of spray adhesive to attach it to foam at the outline.

synjin

Elite member
FDM, if I weren't in the middle of three other projects I'd jump on this one today. It's a beautiful classic plane!

FoamyDM

I hope you do. I plane to do a rebuild. there were a number of fixes and repairs I had to make during the testing process. which weakened the plane. but the Vids don't show how much of a beauty she is to fly. Please print it out and have an Eye here for any updates or improvements I might document. The biggest thing is the fuse front to cone. after a few hits.... it was very wiggly