Help! Prop adapter stuck!

OliverW

Legendary member
In my nutball I some crunched the prop adapter. So I went to steal one from a plane only to find out it is stuck on there. I have tried everything and need some help. Thanks.

FDS

Elite member
Is it a plastic or metal adaptor? If it’s just the plastic ring then you are unlikely to be able to remove it without damage.
You can try warming it with a hairdryer then twisting it off with a set of grips, pad the jaws if you don’t want to score the adaptor.
I would suck it up and get another, they are cheap. If you damage this one then the prop gets unbalanced because it’s out of true then you could crash as a result.

OliverW

Legendary member
Is it a plastic or metal adaptor? If it’s just the plastic ring then you are unlikely to be able to remove it without damage.
You can try warming it with a hairdryer then twisting it off with a set of grips, pad the jaws if you don’t want to score the adaptor.
I would suck it up and get another, they are cheap. If you damage this one then the prop gets unbalanced because it’s out of true then you could crash as a result.
Good information, but I mean the thing the prop goes on and has like a nut that goes on top to tighten it down.

Al Stein

That's a collet... I just had one mess with me, too -- I gave it a drop or two of penetrating oil(3-in-one or wd-40 or such) at the back part where it grips the motor shaft, let that sit a few hours, heated it gently with my covering heat gun, and then it was willing to loosen up the normal way.

OliverW

Legendary member
That's a collet... I just had one mess with me, too -- I gave it a drop or two of penetrating oil(3-in-one or wd-40 or such) at the back part where it grips the motor shaft, let that sit a few hours, heated it gently with my covering heat gun, and then it was willing to loosen up the normal way.
I couldn't remember what it was called. And thank you!

Tench745

Master member
I find a little tapping works wonders on anything held with a collet; prop adapters, dremel bits, pin-vise drills, router bits. Just get something like an x-acto handle or a wrench and lightly tap on all sides, it will start the piece wiggling just enough to work itself free.