Prop Advice - Wood, Plastic, or Carbon Fiber

photomatix

I recently built a hexacopter intended for shooting aerial video. It's not complete yet, but the few test I've done with it(strapping a camera to it with rubber bands) show that there is an excessive amount of vibrations. I'm still in the process of building the gimbal. I have balanced all my props twice, but it's still not where it needs to be; so it seems. I have SUPER cheap props from hobby king, so my question is: what would be the best props to purchase for a camera rig? I'm guessing the reason the current props are vibrating so much is because the material is so flexible. ??? Not sure. Would wooden props be the least flexible? Do you think thats my problem in the first place?

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
Carbon props are pretty popular for multi rotors, I haven't seen many multi rotors with wood props. If your props are balanced, it could be that your motor shaft is bent or something is wrong with your prop adapter. If you're using cheap slow fly props, they might flex a little, but unless you're spinning them way too fast and they are mAking a distinctly horrible sound, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

photomatix

Forgive any rookie questions, as this is my first build... I know for sure that the shafts are true, but I did have some issues with the prop adapters. Any recommendations on where to get some precision props and prop adapters? I'm using the adapters that came with the motors, but they're pretty junky. These are the props I'm currently running: 10x4.5 SF Prop

I've kind of skimmed through what hobby king has but I'm definitely open for advice.

Tdizle

I am pretty new to multi rotors, so by no means an expert or very experienced.
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/gemfan-nylon-props
I got the 9x4.7(green in front, black rear) on my quadcopter with gimbal. After balancing I have not had any vibration issues in the videos I have recorded. They seem to have good reviews, most of them balanced easily, except for one green one that didn't want to balance at the hub. I had to remove alot of material from one side, and add a ton of glue to the other and it still wasnt perfect. I just threw that one away. The other 7 were fine(I ordered a complete extra set)

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
I did have some issues with the prop adapters. Any recommendations on where to get some precision props and prop adapters? I'm using the adapters that came with the motors, but they're pretty junky.

What problems were you having with the prop adapters? I've used the adapters that came with a motor very similar to that one (probably different speeds, etc. same brand) and it bent very easily. Also, am I right to assume that you are using the spacers included with your props to fit the prop adapter shaft? If not the prop would be off center on the shaft and shake like crazy.

photomatix

I am pretty new to multi rotors, so by no means an expert or very experienced.
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/gemfan-nylon-props
I got the 9x4.7(green in front, black rear) on my quadcopter with gimbal. After balancing I have not had any vibration issues in the videos I have recorded. They seem to have good reviews, most of them balanced easily, except for one green one that didn't want to balance at the hub. I had to remove alot of material from one side, and add a ton of glue to the other and it still wasnt perfect. I just threw that one away. The other 7 were fine(I ordered a complete extra set)

Thanks for the reply. I'll will check it out as soon as I finish all my college finals! :D

photomatix

What problems were you having with the prop adapters? I've used the adapters that came with a motor very similar to that one (probably different speeds, etc. same brand) and it bent very easily. Also, am I right to assume that you are using the spacers included with your props to fit the prop adapter shaft? If not the prop would be off center on the shaft and shake like crazy.

I am using the prop spacers. It's only two out of six(the other four seem to be fine), but the part I would call the ferrule doesn't compress evenly around the prop adapter when you tighten the nut down onto it. One side goes down more than the other, so therefore the prop isn't square with the motor shaft. It looks like it was machined incorrectly. I would think that would have some sort of an effect on it, but I'm not sure.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Flexible props are the worst props for AP. It gets worse as the props size goes up. The props can be perfectly balanced, yet produce fairly pronounced vibrations a few ways.

One is when the props is asked to change planes. Thru gyroscopic action the prop will flex and vibrate. Second, thru a change to altitude, the prop will cup up . .and . . down. And lastly as is mentioned above, the prop will flutter like a reed in a clarinet if spun past the spec range and load. Here is an example of over spinning a flexible prop. It begins at the 34 second mark in the video.

https://vimeo.com/104200028