Prop Bites - Official Injury of the AMA?

Gryf

Here's what happened when my Bixler 2 suddenly went to full throttle on my workbench while I was adjusting the controls after a rebuild a couple of evenings ago. Apparently I plugged in the battery before turning on the TX. (Again...) Not only did I learn something from this, I set a new personal record for bleeding. WOW. We live a block from a hospital, so I wrapped my finger up in a towel and walked to the ER.

(It took a long time to type this.)

Gryf

DSC_0254.JPG

Last edited:

marc60

Hmm, the knots of the stitching should not be over the wound but beside it. Than it should give a smaller scar.
Hope it heals soon nevertheless.
Grtz Marc

Gryf

As an epilogue, I was working on the Bixler again a couple of nights ago, this time with the prop off. When I powered it up, I very methodically followed the correct sequence of TX on, wait for the beeps, then battery connect and wait for the other beeps. It bound properly, but several seconds later the motor throttled up again, with the throttle stick definitely all the way down. After a few seconds, the motor shut off. And no, that channel isn't reversed. Then I double-checked the throttle channel connection on my RX, and it seemed okay after that. This is only a guess, but maybe the throttle connection had slipped loose from the RX or something.

By the way, my Tactic TX/RX combo automatically sets the throttle failsafe to the position the throttle is at when you bind up. Meaning, in my case, always 0% because I check it every time.

Mysteries...

Gryf

Blackened Wings

Much mysteries....

My effort last week was not a mystery, it was gravity :D I never power up my planes with throttle cut active, as half of my esc's reset themselves at power up and so when I release the throttle cut I get bonus 1/4 power at 0 stick.

Sooo, I was powering up one of my Funcubs on the club supplies arming bench, and as I plugged it in it started rolling forward towards my tx which was safely sitting on the bench and the right main wheel bumped the throttle stick and I got a nice APC fillet down my right middle finger :black_eyed: Not worth taking a photo now, I heal quick. But point being, no matter how careful you are, electric planes will find a way to nom on your hands.

Gryf

Actually, I think I figured out why the Bixler suddenly wailed on me the other night. The throttle channel was reversed. Sheesh.

Gryf

SteevyT

My effort last week was not a mystery, it was gravity :D I never power up my planes with throttle cut active, as half of my esc's reset themselves at power up and so when I release the throttle cut I get bonus 1/4 power at 0 stick.

This is why my throttle cut only takes it to -100%, not -125%.