Prop Direction

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

In this episode of Flite Test watch as Chad and David demonstrate how to properly install your prop! Watch this Fast Tip to learn more.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Pusher or Puller, Label forward rule applies!
Some factory planes break this rule though.
My Hawk Sky is one. The Stock Pusher prop label faces the tail.

Thurmond

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Yup- I'm glad they covered how to tell which way it goes on by the shape of the prop.
I've seen props that have no discernible markings whatsoever.

earthsciteach

I run across so many backward installed props! It may be second nature to many, but nice job, Chad and David, for putting this on the interweb. It will help a lot of newer folks!

rodent

I have a question about props... I see DD (direct drive), RD (reduction drive), and 'slow flight`·
When (measured in rpm?) should i use the different type of prop?, and how much diffeencedoes it make?
I understand that ther is a safty concern turning a slow flight prop too fast, but I dont know what too fast is.
This may be good for a josh and josh segment where they could try to spin a slowfly prop too fast and see the distruction....

I am not using gear rduction so the rd props dont seem the rigt choice, but I cant choose between the sf and dd props for a funbat, a blue baby trainer, or a f22 raptor...all using the same motor and same size prop 8040 24 gram hextronic 1300 kv

rodent

prop choice for different models with same size motor and prop

I have a question about props... I see DD (direct drive), RD (reduction drive), and 'slow flight`·
When (measured in rpm?) should i use the different type of prop?, and how much diffeencedoes it make?
I understand that ther is a safty concern turning a slow flight prop too fast, but I dont know what too fast is.
This may be good for a josh and josh segment where they could try to spin a slowfly prop too fast and see the distruction....

I am not using gear rduction so the rd props dont seem the rigt choice, but I cant choose between the sf and dd props for a funbat, a blue baby trainer, or a f22 raptor...all using the same motor and same size prop 8040 24 gram hextronic 1300 kv

rodent

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
rodent, I find that the slow fly props always pull harder for slow 3D stuff, they seem to have more torque roll as well. They just grab more air. If you are running a fast motor (high kv) for faster flight I would get the dd prop. They are flatter and seem to be stiffer for more pull at rpm. Also the slow fly props seem to flex more because of the thinner root. For faster or higher power 3D I like the stiffer props. Most everyone I know runs apc brand or apc style props on all of their high power stuff including big nitro planes. They just flat work better, and they are more comparable to the slow fly or rd props than the dd props. They are like the slow fly in that they have the spoon shape blades but they are super rigid.

For your motor, being a 1300kv, I have to assume that you're running it on a 3 cell battery, so 3S=11.1v x 1300 kv = 14430 rpm. If you are running on a 2S=7.4v x 1300 kv = 9620 rpm, you aren't really getting much in the way of speed and you're going to have to swing a really big prop.

Is this your motor?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2069

If so then it's recommending an 8x3.8 on 3S. I would personally go for the direct drive props first with the planes you talked about. I think that you could go for the stiffer prop and be happier since those aren't really 3D planes that you're going to be hovering. I run a similar setup with slow fly blades for my super light 3D foamie and I love it. It came with a dd blade but I switched it out to an RD.

rodent

AK,
Thanks for the input - very informative. I've been using the DD props but I ordered some RD's. Next time I put in an order I'll try the APC type props. Right now I break too many and need to keep using the cheapos. Maybe I should wait till the wind dies down, but where's the fun in that!

I appreciate your help - great post.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Happy to help. I still buy the cheapo RD's by the 6 pack and go through them a lot as I'm always piling in trying to do new moves or do things closer to the ground lol.

The apc props are often heavier and harder to fit onto prop savers etc because of the thicker hub.

Speaking of prop savers, are you using them? They sort of save props, but they're really good at saving motor shafts from bending.