Prop installation on Bell style threaded shaft motor?

L84DNR

As I'm waiting for the remaining parts from HK for my first quad I have spent the time trying to gather as much info as I can.

The motor I chose is a bell style with a threaded shaft, comes with two nylon lock nuts and two washers. My question is when assembling this with a prop how far down should the first nut go and how tight should the two nuts squeeze the prop? Is this a lite proposition or wrench the damn thing down as hard as you can?

Any insight on the correct way to mount a propeller on this type of motor would be appreciated!

earthsciteach

The closer it is to the bell, the less noticeable the vibration of an out of balance prop will be. But, the prop needs to clear the cowling.

Make the nuts snug, but you don't have to get too crazy with tightening them.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The motor I chose is a bell style with a threaded shaft, comes with two nylon lock nuts and two washers. My question is when assembling this with a prop how far down should the first nut go and how tight should the two nuts squeeze the prop? Is this a lite proposition or wrench the damn thing down as hard as you can?

Since you're making a quad, two of your props will spin the other direction. So you need those nuts with a nylon insert to keep the props from loosening.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
And I would suggest purchasing only props that have a fairly large shaft hole and come with a pack of different inserts for different size motor shafts. Drilling out holes in props is tough to get exactly centered.

And cut off most of the unused shaft. Shafts extending more than 5mm or so, past the nut will increase the chance of being bent during a crash. And when cutting the shaft, ensure you don't get any metal dust particles inside the motor.

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Also, cut the shaft with a nut on so that you can straighten out the threads by backing the nut off. Otherwise, you may never get another nut on.

L84DNR

So, while on the subject of motors and props by a purely performance perspective (and maybe a little aesthetics) is there any need to add a prop adapter or "nose cone" to a threaded bell type motor? Or is simply clipping the thread down acceptable?