Prop problem

B17islove

I have a1510 2200kv motors, I wanted to use 5030 3 blade props and ordered some, but I was delivered 5045 3 blade gws props, will using these be bad?

GliderFlyer

Elite member
You could still use them, they will put more of a load on the motor though since they're higher pitch. So maybe don't go full throttle with these. What will the motors be used on?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
It always a good idea to bench test a new prop. Start with a 10 second blast at full throttle. Then stop and test the temperature of the motor, esc and battery by touching them. Warm is OK but if they are so hot you can’t hold on to them, stop, that’s too much prop. If it passes, try a 30 second blast, if it passes. Try a 60 second blast, if it passes you will likely be OK. It’s a good idea to take the temperature of everything right after a flight. Keep in mind a prop that works when it’s 70 may cause overheating when it’s 95+.

Chuppster

It always a good idea to bench test a new prop. Start with a 10 second blast at full throttle. Then stop and test the temperature of the motor, esc and battery by touching them. Warm is OK but if they are so hot you can’t hold on to them, stop, that’s too much prop. If it passes, try a 30 second blast, if it passes. Try a 60 second blast, if it passes you will likely be OK. It’s a good idea to take the temperature of everything right after a flight. Keep in mind a prop that works when it’s 70 may cause overheating when it’s 95+.

While a temperature test is good, I've found that an inexpensive watt meter will pay for itself when setting up power systems. It gives you measurable numbers to determine if you're drawing too much current for your motor. It's probably saved me 10 or so motors/ESC's! I highly suggest any aspiring hobbyist invest in one, or find a buddy that has one.