Prop Spinner P 40

moke

Just bought the P40 kit with power pack C Radial. Is there a prop spinner available compatible with this motor? I read a review that reported the spinners offered by FT don't fit this motor

moke

also looking for a three blade, yellow tip propeller, that would work with this model

Rhaps

Elite member
Just bought the P40 kit with power pack C Radial. Is there a prop spinner available compatible with this motor? I read a review that reported the spinners offered by FT don't fit this motor

In what way they don't fit?
I bought this https://store.flitetest.com/dubro-21-2-4-pin-spinner-white-dub284/p29305 and it looks like this:
p40-nose2.png

Prop and motor are from radiel C-Pack and plane flew just fine.
(Note that I tapered top of the nose a bit from original plans)

moke

perfect. I didn't order it because in one of the reviews....some said it didn't fit the C pack. This is exactly what I'm looking for

Rhaps

Elite member
perfect. I didn't order it because in one of the reviews....some said it didn't fit the C pack. This is exactly what I'm looking for

Augh.. I just remembered something important.
The spinner extrudes behind the prop which means you can't push power pod all the way back.
So make sure you make the rods that carry the powerpod in the front long enough and test fit power pod with spinner before you glue rods into place.

Also the spinner is only for 2 blade prop.

moke

The spinner extrudes behind the prop which means you can't push power pod all the way back.
So make sure you make the rods that carry the powerpod in the front long enough and test fit power pod with spinner before you glue rods into place.

thnx for followup

PaulBlack71

Same problem here. Bought the recommended dubro spinner with my sbk. The spinner is designed at the back to rest against something flat. Problem is the C pack motor has nearly no flat surface at the back of the shaft. I had to get creative with the provided spacers and some washers to make it a solid backrest that also spins true and balanced. Some trial and error, but yes this spinner is not great for the C motor pack as it currently is unless they ship the motor with a 'toothed' backing plate to mate with the spinner.

About the clearance, just trim a little off the foam nose of the plane to accomodate the back spacing the spinner needs or mount the motor on some washers to push it forward a little. I'm yet to fly mine with the spinner on but it just looks so terrible without it. The spinner looks fantastic on the model.

moke

Same problem here. Bought the recommended dubro spinner with my sbk. The spinner is designed at the back to rest against something flat. Problem is the C pack motor has nearly no flat surface at the back of the shaft. I had to get creative with the provided spacers and some washers to make it a solid backrest that also spins true and balanced. Some trial and error, but yes this spinner is not great for the C motor pack as it currently is unless they ship the motor with a 'toothed' backing plate to mate with the spinner.

About the clearance, just trim a little off the foam nose of the plane to accomodate the back spacing the spinner needs or mount the motor on some washers to push it forward a little. I'm yet to fly mine with the spinner on but it just looks so terrible without it. The spinner looks fantastic on the model.

Thanks for advice. Same experience. Took some figuring out, using a couple of spacers, trimming front nose just like you said. I like it so was worth the hassle. Will see tomorrow I think if this thing flies!
p40 prop spinner.jpg

PaulBlack71

Nice. Looks good. I like the red spinner. I could only get a black one.

I tried to maiden mine today but flinched on the toss and lawn darted it about 15 ft away. broke prop, stripped out 2 firewall screws (i never really trusted those tiny self tappers) and folded up one of the wingtips a bit. (the area at the ends after the transition from the flat bottom to the undercamber is VERY weak.) I think I'm going to conjure up a way to bolster it some before trying again. All 100% pilot error here, but it will fly again after a little body work. You might think twice about many hours put into beautification on these planes. They will definitely not stand up to abuse or any kind of close encounter with the ground. I was thinking of doing a period correct paint job etc, now I think I'm just going to stripe it for orientation and fly it for fun.

good luck!

moke

ordered an adapter that upsized the size of shaft and also gave something for the back plate to seat on. I think this will work
P40 prop spinner mod.jpg

PaulBlack71

Looks great. Have you flown it yet. Bet it will look good in the air with the extra details you've added. Still waiting to run mine for the first time. I've got it repaired and hopefully now a little tougher. the weather here is terrible right now including the snow we had yesterday.

I replaced the self tappers in the motor mount with true nuts/washers and machine screws. I also glued some bbq skewers under the wingtip at the undercamber and into the main wing area to try to strengthen that. It's quite a bit more rigid now. The undercambered wingtips are a major weak point on the airframe in stock configuration. One tipsy landing and your wingtips will snap off. Will snap some pics next time I'm tinkering with it. Cheers.

moke

Looks great. Have you flown it yet. Bet it will look good in the air with the extra details you've added. Still waiting to run mine for the first time. I've got it repaired and hopefully now a little tougher. the weather here is terrible right now including the snow we had yesterday.

I replaced the self tappers in the motor mount with true nuts/washers and machine screws. I also glued some bbq skewers under the wingtip at the undercamber and into the main wing area to try to strengthen that. It's quite a bit more rigid now. The undercambered wingtips are a major weak point on the airframe in stock configuration. One tipsy landing and your wingtips will snap off. Will snap some pics next time I'm tinkering with it. Cheers.

Yep on flying. A few times now and instantly one of my favorite. As solid as a retail bind n fly I think. Spent some time figuring out how to get the prop spinner to work, but that is fixed now.