Propeller Belly

ParkeFlyer

I'm relatively new to the hobby and I've already heard a hundred times... take the propeller off when you're working on your plane. Well... I took that to mean, if you're working on the motor or around the motor, take the prop off. That is not what it means. Not at all.

A couple nights ago, I was replacing servos in my Clouds Fly and figuring out how to program "flaperons" with my 9x. The wings were off. Being stupid, I accidentally reversed the throttle control settings, and the motor instantly went from zero to full throttle. Before my eyes, the fuselage transformed into a missile and launched off my workbench - flying right at me and grazing my stomach and CHOP CHOP CHOP!

The plane fell on the ground, without much damage, but I had an intense pain in my side. Very reluctantly I lifted my shirt to see the damage. I was half expecting my bowels to be exposed, but luckily... just a flesh wound. Three parallel cuts where the blade diced me as it zoomed by.

Take the phrase literally... if you or working on the plane, or the Tx, or the servos, or anything... take the prop off. Probably the only way, but I learned the hard way.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Play safe! No stitches?
Take a pic?
Good reminder to take off the prop.
A bad habit of mine is to leave it on when working on my stuff inside.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I usually just unplug the ESC, but you do have to be careful around these motors. Even the little ones will chop your fingers off, and the torque of the motor is maximum when its not moving :eek:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Depending on the radio you have, you can also arm the transmitter to disable the motor no matter what setting the throttle is at.

Not that I've done this with mine, I should, but I haven't... :D

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Depending on the radio you have, you can also arm the transmitter to disable the motor no matter what setting the throttle is at.

Does that work with Spektrum ones as well?

I´ve heard that with those KK boards for Tricopters you have to move the throttle stick to bottom right/left to arm or disarm the throttle.
That would be quite useful :)

I also never really take the prop of unless it is my Extra 300. I some chopping experience with that beauty as well :D
But with slowfly models I usually ignore that.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Anas, yes. I have a Spektrum DX7, and a JR 9503. You can do it to both. It's just setting a throttle hold, like you would for a helicopter.

ananas1301

Does that work with Spektrum ones as well?

I´ve heard that with those KK boards for Tricopters you have to move the throttle stick to bottom right/left to arm or disarm the throttle.
That would be quite useful :)

I also never really take the prop of unless it is my Extra 300. I some chopping experience with that beauty as well :D
But with slowfly models I usually ignore that.

JoeyG

OUCH! Made me laugh thou, so thanks for that. Luckily not found myself in a similar situation... Yet.. :)

J.

Dallin

I was holding my extra 300 and checking something or other under the canopy. I had a friend hold the transmitter for me, and he "accidentally" hit the throttle. I was dripping blood, and have a nice little scar on my arm to show for it.

Airwolf

Indeed. I've discovered it to be one of the greatest features of my Aurora 9 too - simply hold the model icon on the display and throttle is secured... I have this radio for 3 months and it already saved my fingers two times...

Pilot Scott

FLY LOW
To answer, the older DX7 does not prompt you but the newer DX7, DX7s, DX8 and DX10t prompt you with "Reverse Throttle?".

And my horror story; I had a little pylon racer turning an APC 6x4 and if you know that prop, it is a razor. Anywho, I was eyeballing the rudder and went to bump it to make sure it centered and accidentally pushed the throttle up as I blindly felt for the radio, cutting my lip in two and a few nasty cuts on my face.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
That's gotta hurt! All these stories should be read by beginners (not to discourage but to teach them to be careful)

Klonas

To answer, the older DX7 does not prompt you but the newer DX7, DX7s, DX8 and DX10t prompt you with "Reverse Throttle?".

And my horror story; I had a little pylon racer turning an APC 6x4 and if you know that prop, it is a razor. Anywho, I was eyeballing the rudder and went to bump it to make sure it centered and accidentally pushed the throttle up as I blindly felt for the radio, cutting my lip in two and a few nasty cuts on my face.
Ouch! That sound nasty. I am using APC props and i have a similar 7x4 and a 11x5.5. The 11x5.5 Is quite new and i actually sanded it because it was so sharp (you're gonna laugh from this) I actually cut myself while just holding it....Seriously.... They make these things like razors :black_eyed:

ananas1301

The more razorlike they are the more aerodynamic they should be. (In theory)

The only reason I would start sanding the surface of prop (never the edges) is for balancing them out, which is quite important.

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
Good reminder! I'm going to remember to always unplug....Does anybody know if the throttle cut button on the DX6i will work?(oh well, I can just look in the manual)