Propeller keeps spinning freely.

chubbyhubby1222

I'm still way new to the hobby. Every time I put the prop on my FT Explorer and tighten the nut it works fine for a minute then I think the prop gets pushed down too far and doesn't grip to the shaft anymore. When I throttle up the shaft spins but the prop doesn't really spin with it. How can I fix this?

FDS

Elite member
Also if the shaft of the prop has spun off the motor it might well be oval shaped now, which you don’t want. I have found APC props to be good on FT planes and relatively cheap. I would check for a washer as advised above but be prepared to need a new prop. Also check your prop nut is a Nylock one. If it isn’t and it’s coming loose, then a bit of blue thread lock will sort it out, or get a new nut.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nylocks. Get rid of the spinner type nuts. The motors these days have way more torque that comes on faster from better esc tech. Those pretty spinners just dont have the uhmph or grip to hold that.

Be glad your not ripping on the gear I use yet. These motors have splines on the bell to grip the prop even with using nylocks and I STILL spin them on full throttle hits.

If you want to get away from this you will have to change up props to the type you drill to match your shaft and not the mass produced ones that have spacers to adapt to the different size shafts.

Reactions: FDS

Wildthing

Legendary member
I don't understand how you would push the prop on to far, the seat and the nut and the are what locks the prop in place not the shaft. Any pictures of what you got ?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Wildthing, not quite sure if the prop spinning on the collet OR is the collet spinning on the motor shaft.
Either way you need to take some pliers and tighten the collet. Sometimes if the prop is too tight on the shaft of the collet, it will prevent the jaws from gripping the shaft. You'll need to ream the hole in the prop to allow the jaws to tighten.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I agree with @Wildthing, not quite sure if the prop spinning on the collet OR is the collet spinning on the motor shaft.
Either way you need to take some pliers and tighten the collet. Sometimes if the prop is too tight on the shaft of the collet, it will prevent the jaws from gripping the shaft. You'll need to ream the hole in the prop to allow the jaws to tighten.
I have seen guys put the collet together wrong also so that is why a couple pictures might be good to see.

4sjk

I'm also a newby and I just build an Explorer with the B power pack. I found that the prop was so tight on the shaft that it was next to impossible to get it fully seated against the motor. I used a rat tail file and very carefully reamed out the hole until the prop was a snug fit on the shaft but I was able to press it all the way on. If your prop came with spacers use the one that fits the shaft and install in in the recess on the back side of the prop an snug up the nylock nut. 3 flights so far with about 45 minutes of flight time and no issues other that newby pilot issues. Good luck.