Propeller mounting on motor

Felixboddez

Hi,
I have an emax GT2215/10 brushless motor and a 10x4.7 propeller.
Since this is my first ever plane I have no idea on how to put the propeller on the motor.

It's for my scratch build piper cub. I already installed the adapter, I think it has to go on that side right?
I also put the thing to mount the motor on a piece of wood onto it.
I have 2 rings with some ridges, a nut and the metal tip thing of the propeller.

Does somebody know a clear video that shows how to install it? or could somebody maybe explain?

Thanks!

FDS

Elite member
You should build the power pod, then the plane, then mount the motor and test all the electrics, check the motor direction matches the prop, then fit the prop.
Lots of this stuff is on FT’s channel in build videos.
You usually need a prop ring in the back face of the prop so it fits tight to the prop shaft. The writing on the prop faces towards you for a tractor plane. The lock nut or spinner fits on after the prop.
Some motors require you to put the prop shaft assembly onto the rotor, with two screws.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.

I agree with @FDS. It does not matter if you have a tractor prop or a pusher, the prop should always go on the plane with the numbers facing towards the direction of travel (where the plane is going). If you put the prop in backwards (numbers facing where the plane has been) you will get less than half of the thrust you would expect.

If you are still not sure, show us a picture of what you have.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
Also the FT firewalls don’t usually need you to use a motor spacer, the firewall holes match the stator holes.

Felixboddez

euhm,
ok. I know about the numbers facing forwards, the only thing I'm wondering now is on which side of the motor it has to be (adapter side or not) and what nut's come where. Now I have it like this: propeller on the side of the adapter, with two rings whith the ridges on both sides of it, with the ridges facing inwards. After that I don't really know if I should put the nut or the tip of the propeller or both.

I will try to do my best to add a picture tomorrow but I don't have any time left for the moment.

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english!!

FDS

Elite member
You only need a prop adapter ring on the side that sits against the motor usually.
AEADFAFE-3FEB-4396-A469-0BA1B5D9D736.jpeg 9C0650E8-0ED7-4468-AAD5-1B7F9D7EB24B.jpeg
Second photo shows the order, motor, prop ring, prop then the nut/spinner.

Felixboddez

image.jpg

Is this rigt?

Or should I use the other tip instead of the nut?
And those two rings on each side of the propeller have ridges on one side, but where should the ridges point to?

shadeyB

Legendary member
Looks good 👌
Providing motor is on the front of the plane and engine rotation matches the prop direction 👌
Go fly it 😁

FDS

Elite member
Looks good!
You can use the spinner or the nut.
DO NOT turn it on with the prop attached on the bench.
Only do that outside and stand behind the plane when you run the motor and prop the first time. If it has no undercarriage then keep your hands and face away from the prop when you test it.

Felixboddez

Looks good 👌
Providing motor is on the front of the plane and engine rotation matches the prop direction 👌
Go fly it 😁
Is it normal that the propeller can’t totally fit till the end of the motor thing? It can just go to where the screw thing ends... hard to explain since I’m not used to speak English.

Attachments

• 1FB5B2ED-C0C9-46AE-9FC3-89A9CFCB3301.jpeg
    1FB5B2ED-C0C9-46AE-9FC3-89A9CFCB3301.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 0

FDS

Elite member
Put another washer on, it must be tight to the back of the shaft, if it has any movement then it won’t work.
Try the spinner (bullet shaped thing,) sometimes they are longer and will push the prop onto the back of the motor.

Felixboddez

Put another washer on, it must be tight to the back of the shaft, if it has any movement then it won’t work.
Try the spinner (bullet shaped thing,) sometimes they are longer and will push the prop onto the back of the motor.
That doesn’t fit onto it. Or do you mean just the spinner? Without that shaft thing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

shadeyB

Legendary member
It’s not normal, it’s unlucky
Some props can be tight, tighter the better until you crash it and try to remove broken prop.
Most props come with adapters to help fit best
797324A9-3E4B-44D9-B54F-1323010CBCBB.jpeg

Felixboddez

But in what order does it has to go?
Motor, 2 washers, prop and nut/spinner
Or
Motor, washer, prop, washer and nut/spinner?

Attachments

• 2CC45A54-4264-44FB-8061-316E1F053271.jpeg
    2CC45A54-4264-44FB-8061-316E1F053271.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • F1EB7E3B-B80E-4AF2-BD49-8E8B39067902.jpeg
    F1EB7E3B-B80E-4AF2-BD49-8E8B39067902.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

FDS

Elite member
Try just the spinner without the shaft part, it might be the same thread as the nut but have a little bit more movement back to clamp up the prop. Try like in the right hand picture you posted.
Otherwise you will need some metal washers to put on the front below the nut. You have a very thin prop on a longer shaft, that’s why it won’t tighten fully.
You are also missing a plastic collar that was in the PROP packaging not the MOTOR box. It should go inside the cavity in the middle of that prop.
9EA71E47-DA6E-4425-A465-BF7C573E7DE1.jpeg

Felixboddez

Try just the spinner without the shaft part, it might be the same thread as the nut but have a little bit more movement back to clamp up the prop. Try like in the right hand picture you posted.
Otherwise you will need some metal washers to put on the front below the nut. You have a very thin prop on a longer shaft, that’s why it won’t tighten fully.
You are also missing a plastic collar that was in the PROP packaging not the MOTOR box. It should go inside the cavity in the middle of that prop.
View attachment 141716
Oh ok,
so if I put the 2nd washer next to the first it should be right?

FDS

Elite member
Yes, as long as it can be tight and the prop does not move on the shaft.
I have the same combination on a plane, mine has a big metal washer at the bottom of the shaft to push the prop out a bit. Did you get all the parts out the motor box?

Felixboddez

Yes, as long as it can be tight and the prop does not move on the shaft.
I have the same combination on a plane, mine has a big metal washer at the bottom of the shaft to push the prop out a bit. Did you get all the parts out the motor box?

I got the motor, the shaft, some hardware and the spinner