Propeller questions

Dunfielder

So I broke one of my 2 props last time out and I'm on the hunt to get some more. I just have a couple questions. Seems like every 1045 prop I can find is sold in pairs for quadcopters or drones. If I bought a bunch of pairs, after all the ccw ones are broken is there any harm in reversing the motor to use the cw ones? Or are they not suited to airplanes? Also what range of props can I safely use on a power pack C motor? I liked how the 1045 worked, nothing got hot. Still a noob and don't want anything super fast. I may try 1047 slow flyers if they are ok to use.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
2 things with reversing the prop (and the wires on the ESC -> motor to switch its direction) ->
1 - the motor won't be spinning in a way that tightens the nut, so it can be easier for the prop nut to come off
2 - I believe you would need to change your right thrust angle to left thrust angle to account for the rotation direction change (there could also be other minior trim changes needed)

Dunfielder

I use nylock nuts on the prop shaft. I could even use a bit of blue thread lock. Honestly doesn't look like my P40 has much if any thrust angle. Looks damn near center line. I could be wrong though. Thanks for the quick answer. I really need to order some spare props soon.

Dunfielder

Thanks @Bricks for the link. I had to pay 5 bucks a prop for APC multirotor 1045 props at Hobby Wholesale. 36 dollars for 4 props with the shipping. They are single pack ccw prop packs and contain no adapters. Next time I will check out Valuehobby. Hopefully the shipping isn't crazy. That's why I try to buy within Canada.

Bricks

Master member
Thanks @Bricks for the link. I had to pay 5 bucks a prop for APC multirotor 1045 props at Hobby Wholesale. 36 dollars for 4 props with the shipping. They are single pack ccw prop packs and contain no adapters. Next time I will check out Valuehobby. Hopefully the shipping isn't crazy. That's why I try to buy within Canada.

Did not realize you were a Kanook. :love:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If I bought a bunch of pairs, after all the ccw ones are broken is there any harm in reversing the motor to use the cw ones?
No harm, just give the nut an extra snug to tighten.

Also what range of props can I safely use on a power pack C motor?
Hard to give an exact range, A 1047 prop would absolutely work, a 1060 would likely work.

I’d be sure to give it a bench test. Run the motor full speed for 10 seconds, then check the temperature of the motor, ECS & battery by touching them. Warm is OK but if you can’t hold them for 10 seconds or so, stop, that’s too hot. If it passes, try a 30 second run then a 60 second run.

A prop that worked when it was 70 outside may cause overheating when the air temp is 95.
It’s always a good practice the check temp of the motor, ESC & battery after a flight, throughout the day.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
From my expreince the planes using the C pack motor don't have any right thrust angles maybe only down, thus reversing the motor spin direction using the ESC/Motor cable and using the CW props (pusher props) does in fact work OK. BTW @JasonK I have in fact also been using this on my minis with the A and F pack motors, just really have to tighten that nut a little more that's it :).

2 things with reversing the prop (and the wires on the ESC -> motor to switch its direction) ->
1 - the motor won't be spinning in a way that tightens the nut, so it can be easier for the prop nut to come off
2 - I believe you would need to change your right thrust angle to left thrust angle to account for the rotation direction change (there could also be other minior trim changes needed)
@JasonK you nailed that for me - I never actually thought about it - just figured if I bought the ones both ways for quads I'd only use half of them. But building power pods is stupid simple. Duh! Because my second time out this week I squashed a power pod. (tried to land vertically. Doesn't work so well but it's fast.)
Thank you for pointing that out.