Propellers, Props, or as I call them "Plastic Sticks I can break!"

etnskvl

Hello all,

Very new to all this, and have downloaded and printed some plans. I've previously built a Nutball and FT Flyer. Although a licensed pilot, I seem to like to land prop first in these RC planes.:black_eyed:
Having bought a bunch of props initially, I am trying to figure out which are the most sturdy and which ones are not. Gemfan seems to be thin, and APC seems to indicate thicker? Also, looking at HobbyKing, I can't find any 5" props that arent made for quads. I will be buying some Power Packs for the Minis I will be building next, but am trying to find the best (cheapest) place to buy props.

Thanks for this wonderful hobby!
Eric

Bricks

Master member
Aliexpress is where I buy most of my props. Have to pay high attention there descriptions are not always the best and kind of a pain finding the cheapest. Usually I will try to buy 20-50 props at a time it can bring the price down in that .35-.47 cents apiece.

jtrops

I was breaking a lot of props. One of my students suggested DAL props and so I bought 20 of them. I have abused the one that I installed on my Tiny Trainer to no end, and the prop is still fine. I did have to bend it back into shape once, but it's nowhere near breaking. I have had to rebuild the power pod and the front of the fuse, and yet the prop has weathered it all. They are 5045's, and I'm sure they were intended for quads; however, they have been great on the Tiny Trainer, and the Sparrow. I'm running a 6035 Gemfan on my Arrow, but I wonder how the 5045 would do.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Quad props are not really that efficient at high forward airspeed in effect they tend to be closer to SF props for High Kv Motors.

jtrops

Quad props are not really that efficient at high forward airspeed in effect they tend to be closer to SF props for High Kv Motors.

I'm still very new to all of this, and what you are saying here is leaving me with more questions than answers. Could you explain a little better why this is true? My thought is that a 5045 prop will work the same whether it is made for a quad or a plane. I would truly appreciate any insights that would help me understand the difference.