PROPS FOR THE NIGHTHAWK PRO 280!!!

NuminousFPV

NuminousFPV
Hi Flitetest Crew,

I am new to this mini quad stuff and have just brought a nighthawk pro 280 ARF but I am a little bit confused with which props to use. I brought some DAL 5045 Bullnose props with it. Can I use this will my 3S batteries or not?

Any help would be great Thanks!!!

NuminousFPV

Spastickitten

If they can fit, then use them, they might be a little weak if it is on 2204. Usually people use a 6 inch prop, at least I think so. Look at the spec sheet.
2204propdata.PNG

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
If they can fit, then use them, they might be a little weak if it is on 2204. Usually people use a 6 inch prop, at least I think so.

2204s with 5x4.5 bullnose props works great. Make sure your ESCs and batteries can handle it though.

EDIT: I just noticed you're running 3S batteries. My comment about ESCs and batteries was more for 4S. You should be fine as long as you have at least 12 A ESCs. Also, welcome to the forums!

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
On 3s 5" props will work but won't give you as much power/punch as 6"...but you might get a bit more nimbleness in return - I have some HQ 5x45's and some DAL 5045 blunt noses I plan on trying on mine but haven't had a chance yet.

On 4s you can only run 5" - running 6" you'll overload the ESC's and since they're built into the control board on this quad that's a rather pricey mistake to make.

5" props on 4s on that quad should outperform 6" on 3s though.

6" on 4s would rock...but you'd need different ESC's and with the built in ESC's that's tricky. So best to stick with 5" props on 3s or 4s and 6" only on 3s with this quad.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Speaking of props....I'm getting dangerously low again. I've noticed that I fly a lot better when I have plenty of props on hand. Something about knowing that a few crashes won't leave me grounded ;)

So I've been flying less aggressively and coming home after just one or two crashes instead of swapping in fresh props and just going for it - which has been leaving me feeling frustrated that I'm not getting enough stick time.

But the co-worker I gave my G10 Twitchity 230 frame to wants to go flying tomorrow morning so I've been trying to get things organized. Dusted of my FT mini's and been charging every pack I can for my multis so we can get as much flying in tomorrow as possible.

And then...I moved a layer of craft foam and printouts of STM32 datasheets and smashed up power pods...and what did I find....

A big pile of FC 6045 props I totally forgot I had set aside :D :applause:

Well, not THAT big...still 16 props is nothing to sneeze at!

Sure hope my co-worker is still as excited about flying tomorrow morning as he was at the end of the day today!

NuminousFPV

NuminousFPV
Wow, you guys are quick to reply. Thanks for all your help!!! I will try my 5045s tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes Thanks!!!

anglovirtual

On 3s 5" props will work but won't give you as much power/punch as 6"...but you might get a bit more nimbleness in return ...

I find it helps to think 5 & 6'' props like cars:

The 5'' on 3S is like a Honda with VTEC: not much power at low RPM and you have to really thrash it to make any decent power, but nimble and handles the corners well.

Where as the 6'' props on 3S are more like your V8 muscle car: lots of torque/power at low RPMs as well as high and lots of power to get you out of trouble fast, but a bit more clumsy in the twisty stuff.

At least that's what I've discovered from running 5 and 6'' props on my Nighthawk Pro... :D

(Also just as an aside, I've found the 6'' to be far better when flying in windy conditions. The 5045 bullnose props really don't produce enough thrust to keep the quad stable in the gusts..)

Last edited: