Help! Props way too expensive

Magne

Hi everyone, I have just build my first RC airplane. I have tried to fly it a few times, but I am really bad at controlling the plane. I keep crashing it with the prop directly into the ground and when that happens the prop often breaks.
I dont want to buy new props all the time because I know i will just break them. Any ideas?
Thanks on advance, Magne.

daxian

Elite member
prop savers ....rubber bands allow flex ,save the prop in heavy landings !!
1676537353569.png

quorneng

Master member
You could always change the design of the plane so it uses a high mounted pusher prop like the FT Explorer.
In a heavy landing the prop is safe but the plane might well break.
Broken planes can be repaired, broken props can't.

Inq

Elite member
If you're using the cheap (typically orange ones), yes they break. Nylon ones don't break as easily, but they're a lot more expensive.

Maybe I can make my own props from pvc or something else?

PVC is even a more brittle plastic. It'll be even more likely to break. If you are talking about hand carving one, you're very unlikely to be able to carve, sand, balance a decent working one in under a day. If you have access to a CNC... different story, but still it'd break out of PVC. If you have a 3D printer you can make them for less than 10 cents in plastic. PLA is kind of brittle also and would be prone to breakage. ABS is a little better, but you can get Nylon. BUT you have to have a good model first and they're not easy to find or make unless you're good with CAD and propeller design.

Overall, @quorneng suggestion is probably the best solution. Building a foamboard based pusher plane is a couple of dollars, several hours of work and it would never break a prop.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I can make my own props from pvc or something else?
Making your own could be dangerous if it not strong enough to withstand the spinning force. Spinning at 8,000 rpm or more creates a lot of centrifugal force. If you are going to try it, make sure to hold it away from anyone, away from the prop arch if the prop decides to let go.

I agree with @MacClarkNC, I have much better luck with a name brand prop like APC.

Foamforce

Another thing to try is turning on the ESC brake. It brings the prop to a stop when you turn off the throttle instead of windmilling. If it’s not spinning when it touches the ground, it’s apparently much less likely to break. It apparently lets your plane glide better when your motor is off too.

The programming sequence is similar to calibrating the ESC and doesn’t require any tools. All 10+ of my generic ESCs, and a couple brand name ones, use the same sequence, so if you don’t have the manual for your ESC, find one for a different brand and it will probably work.

Foamforce

In my experience, ESC brake on is the fastest way to break a prop.
I’m in the free wheeling camp.

Most people say the opposite, there’s a bunch of information and YouTube videos on it. I haven’t been doing it long enough to form a strong opinion yet, although I haven’t broken a prop yet since turning it on. 🤷‍♂️

Piotrsko

Master member
Dont know which APC prop got reccomended, but gas fuel aircraft props are pretty much breakproof. Bit less thrust and you need a shaft spacer.

skymaster

Elite member
what type of aircraft did you build me i mostly use prop's that are for drone's or quads for some reason they can take a beat the only bad thing is that you buy in pairs or packs of four but the good thing is you can use the tractor one for normal planes and the reverse one's for pusher's or vice versa. when i started freshly bitten by the bug i can not tell you the deal's i found now not so much try the plastic one the are not so rigid. have fun

Draftman1

If you are new to flying, it’s always a good idea to get a buddy that can fly to help you out.

Flying should be fun, breaking props all the time will get old and you will give up. A little help can really make a difference

RossFPV

I used 6x4 from APC
i use 5inch triblade drone props, i never broke one after about 8 crashes. just make sure you dont get the glass nylon, they dont flex. its probably best to get them from somewhere like RaceDayQuads, they have tons of props.

Magne

Thanks guys for all the incredible good answers. I think what will work best for me is to build a pusher plane and the reason is that I need to learn and fly. I cant even fly 10 meters before crashing. Any tips on how to learn flying faster?