PROTO-X 'The Ultimate Whipper Snapper'

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Estes, the company that introduced many of us to rocketry years ago, has now released an ultra-small quadcopter.

Not just 'sorta small'. I mean REALLY small. . .

DSC00184.jpg

And what is even more amazing, it has auto-level that is outstanding. I've been playing with it for the last few days and am in awe of its flying ability. If I had anything even slightly negative to say about it it would be the yaw left stick (mode 2) is a little touchy at times, and the flight time is a hair under 5 minutes in a stand-still hover (I timed it). Throttle, elevator and aileron is very smooth. I had it outside last night, there was zero wind and had it up to the top of my trees which are in the 40 to 50 foot range before I lost signal and it dropped. It's so small, it can drop from incredible heights with no damage as long as it's carpet or grass. Sounds like a large insect.

Takes about 20 minutes for a full USB charge.

The controller is also very tiny. Possibly too small for someone with large hands.

DSC00178.jpg

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

I'm even toying with the idea of getting some aerial video. . . :rolleyes:

DSC00182.jpg

Here's a review of a guy flying it around his kitchen. I got it for 39.99 + 5 shipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbdNZIL6Lpw

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I agree jhitesma. I've read and kept in loose touch with their blog for most of a year and just couldn't justify dipping into the pool when I could have "full size" for the same cost. Full size meant lifting a multitude of stuff. Going small, more or less, merely meant 'novelty'.

But when I saw the proto-X, being almost half the weight and a 20% the cost, I couldn't resist. And man, once you have it trimmed, it's amazing.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
And with the Hubsan controller, more options like high rates. Pretty cool and totally worth the pricepoint.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Darn you CD!!!!

was doing fine, PERFECTLY HAPPY with the multirotors I had, building a coupe more, you know, just to try somehting diffrent out, then . . .

**BAM**

I now have 4 of these inbound from tower hobby!

Oh, and my harder Christmas shoping is done :) . . .

with one little guy left over ;) . . .

which my wife won't let me play with untill cristmas :(

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Hope you like them!

It is a blast. Reminds me of the 80's flick *batteries not included.

I'm really tempted to purchase the newer Hubsan transmitter for the X4. The stock transmitter has wonderfully smooth pitch, elevator and aileron control, but the yaw doesn't engage until the stick is about 50% of its travel to the left and about 40% to the right, giving it essentially a super-wide 'deadband'. Having such a large deadband may only be my unit. However I suspect there's at least some deadband in all the stock Tx's. Everyone at Rcgroups says the Hubsan V2 transmitter for the X4 is worlds better.

Plus the X4 transmitter allows dual rate, has more range, and can turn the lights off and on, which the tiny stock Tx does not. If I had decent yaw control, the whipper snapper would have utterly amazing control.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Having a hard time finding a replacement motor for the little thing. Such a new product, spare parts are a bit expensive. So when I saw this I had a fight or flight moment. . .and fought back with my CC. :rolleyes:

CAUTION: these things are so novel they draw a lot of attention. I made the mistake of letting co-workers try it out and the result was a lot of full throttle into the ceiling and walls. They are pretty 'unbreakable', but the motors will still burn out if mistreated.

JasonEricAnderson

I got one of these for Christmas and I'm hooked!! I had played with a cheap "Skywalker" caged mini quad but something never clicked with my fixed wing mind/muscle memory. I started this guy up and by the third flight, CLICK! Oh that's what It's supposed to feel like.

10292541_10205184040019152_659072331930222913_n.jpg

OH! I guess I can update my signature/hanger now!