Proud Father's video of son's first solo

Beldraak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRFg6bhnNUY

Firstly I just want to say thank you to the crew at Flite Test for getting me back into the hobby. I learned to fly a little over 20 years ago, got out of the hobby for about 10 years during college and starting a job, got back in with flying 3d foamies, got out again for about 10 years with kids, and now am getting back in with FT.

I saw a couple of FT videos over the last couple of years and thought they were cool but they didn't stick at first. Then I saw some of the FPV multirotor videos and various episodes related to FPV and started getting the bug again. About a month ago I noticed the podcast and decided that I needed to listen to all of the episodes to get caught up, I'm currently on episode 60. I can't say enough good things about Flite Test and the people that make it happen.

Josh B's passion for the hobby and his mission for making it a vehicle to bring families together has been a real inspiration to me. I realized that my oldest son is nine and is probably at the perfect age to learn to fly. I found the free plans and decided to make a FT Racer which turned out to not be a plane that I could teach my son to fly on. I then made the FT Flyer and that turned out to be a winner for teaching my son to fly. This video is my son's first solo take off and landing. I started buddy boxing with him 2 days prior and I love how his interest in the hobby has progressed in those 3 days.

Day one: " But I want to go jump on the trampoline"
Day 2: "Is it calm enough to fly tonight?"
Day 3: "Can I try it with the real transmitter, I know I can do it"

I love being able to laugh after a crash instead of being crushed at how long it is going to take to fix before we can fly again. Dollar tree foam board is GENIUS!

Before I get a lot of flak for using a road as a runway, I just want to say we live in the middle of nowhere and can count on one hand the number of cars that go by in an hour, and we can hear the cars from about 1/2 mile away.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Josiah did a great job! Now get your Dad to help you build a new one. Keep practicing.

Best regards,
PCH

whiskeyjack

You are one lucky guy. My daughter was only interested in horses, talk about an expensive hobby......! Anyway, good luck WJ.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I just love his proud "I did it really good!" at the end. Great job.

SHIFFTY

Great job dad and son! love to see a fellow partnership of (father&son) i am the same way with my 12 year old son and mini quads! he took his first flight the other day LOS but getting him into slowly for now till i can build up a better racer for myself then i pass the torch. great job! keep up the good work

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I watched the video again and Josiah needs to practice his landings.
He'll need to work on the standard FT Flyer nose over landing.
His was a bit too perfect and I wanna claim shenanigans.

Best regards,
PCH

Beldraak

Wow am i ever rusty, I could not figure out how to reply... no button anywhere.. then I see that I'm not logged in (facepalm)

Thanks for all the kind words. He has been chomping at the bit to get back out but the weather has not been cooperating. For the record PHugger, we had a few of the nose over landings later and on the last one he even lost a wheel :) I guess I'll have to get him his own radio now after I update mine. Enough has changed in the last 9 or 10 years that it's like starting over again, new batteries, new radio systems, new chargers for the new batteries, multi-rotors and FPV... oh my! How am I going to explain these purchases to my wife!

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Ahhhh - just tell her it's better than smoking, gambling or drinking and then slowly look over at your son.......

Best regards,
PCH