Psyborgs 100 mph Quad Part Two

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I stay as far away from pills as possible. My innards are already shot from to many years on the Oxy. but yes Epsom salts would help. I am going to grab some as I should have already has it here but do not. The swelling is down a lot and hopefully by Saturday I can get a shoe on to do grocery shopping and bring some home with me.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sucks that you're dealing with club foot.

If it were only a little closer to Halloween you could use it to scare the crap out of the neighbors kids :p

But another vote on the salts here as being very helpful during recovery when I broke my ankle. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Foot was feeling better this morning when I got up so I decided it was too nice a day to sit in the apartment. I hobbled out back slowly and carefully to not anger it and set up a track to fly. That took longer to set up and take down then it did to walk out back and do the actual flying.. I had to test it as I am supposed to be going grocery shopping with a friend tomorrow morning. Didnt seem to anger it much and it feels a little more stretched and flexible now for doing so.

On to the flying.. That as smooth as it went still did not make me happy. Seems the video issue I THOUGHT I fixed with new wires and connector came back. I thought it was a spike issue when I cranked on the throttle and backed off when it would trigger these issues. Well it happened on the second pack I flew after a nice gentle warm up battery. So I figured I would just run slower and work on getting used to where the stretch frame goes from low to tumble when I get too low. Only managed to find that spot once with no damage.

It was the fourth battery of the day that the issue popped up again. I was steady on the speed for the most part and the highest current was only 45 amps when it did that wired what ever its doing thing happened. Anyway here is a video of it happening. Can someone at least confirm if this may be a cap issue or something else is going on.

I have pm'd like 15 different people on various medias and only one person has bothered trying to help.

French Brown asked me on yt just after I posted how the grounds were run so to save people reasking I have done this. The camera signal and ground go to the pdb's osd pads. The signal and ground from the osd got to the VTX. The VTX is powered by the votlage regs off the pdb and have their own positive and negative connections. I left the positive for the camera solid and give teh camera 5 volts off the VTX to save adding to longer wires to run back down to the pdb's 5v regulator. To ground that would be like running a shorter wire from the osd ground to the regulator ground which is kind of redundant and I am leary of creating a ground loop that way.

If I have to I can take the power from the PDB for the camera and remove the power feed wires from the VTX but I do not think that would change much.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I'm definitely not an expert, but that doesn't look to me like the kind of interference that caps can help with. Usually that is just lines and snow, not the stuff you're seeing. That appears to me like a camera problem

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Kind of where I am leaning as well.. but... was this damage which is very intermittent caused or being caused by power spikes that the caps are used to smooth out. MANY people has said they have fried components specifically video gear because of the spikes.

Here we go loopty loo..here we go loopty ly.. What came first the chicken (bad video system) or the egg (power spikes)...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If it's the nasty contrast problems near the end, that is massive camera bloom. Seems like when the sun comes out from behind the clouds it gets pretty bad. Try dropping the contrast on the camera or try a different camera. I have a TBS ZeroZeroV1 camera that acted like that from the factory. It didn't have an OSD port for adjustments, so I had to open it up and solder one on.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I dropped the contrast below where I normally set it around 105.. I think its low to mid 90s if I remember. But you may be right as first day I had the issues at the park was bright n sunny then the next day I was there after changing the cable out it was pretty overcast. Then yesterday was really bright n sunny. Could be the correct explanation for the video weirdness and nothing is hot or over loaded with current..

Next three days will be near perfect weather here with a lot of sun so I will change some settings again tomorrow after I go grocery shopping if I survive. The camera is a runcam swift mini so I KNOW the quality and control ability is good. I assume the software is a touch different then the hs1177 as my normal settings for that were WAYYY off when I started with those.

Thanx for the tip mate. Hopefully this solves the issue and I can feel safe ripping this a lot harder now that I am used to its feel.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well took the contrast down to 50 and still had this issue. I did rewire the power structure this morning and over all is much more clear. However I still get that contrast issue. I did learn today that it is more likely the camera. I remember when i first got this and had it on the Gremlin and was getting the wired color thing which was better or worse depending on the VTX. Today while tweaking settings trying to resolve it I had black screen but the osd still showed up and acted properly. I flicked the camera a few times and it got the picture back. I would fly around and get the random brown haze. Well one time when adjusting on the bench I went from brown haze to black screen. I flicked the camera with my finger and got a clear image. Powered the motors above idle and got brown screened. so I flicked the camera again and got clear video. I am now convinced it is the camera and has been since day one. I will be willing to bet it is more then likely cold solder joints at the connector.

Now I just have to look at my orders and see if it came from Flite Test or from getfpv to see about an exchange.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I wonder if you open it up, if there might be something loose rattling around that might fall out, or if there is a cold solder joint.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Opened it up.. nothing fell out or was loose and rattling. It kinda looks like there may be some cold joints in various places but way to small for me to even think about touchin up. I will call support Monday and point them to the Gremlin vids where I had problems with this camera from day one and thought it was antennas and VTX because Runcams are usually great quality items. This morning I will take one of the run cam micros from the FW 42 video system and throw on there to see what that gets me. which means I will be buying over time 3 more them lil buggers to replace the cameras I am already using and still have enough to do the FW 42 project for Team Rockyboy.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Talked to Shawn this morning at GetFPV.com. Sent the return order for the camera zero problems. This is why I deal with them and Flite Test for most of my gear. When there is a problem.. and there will be the more you get into things specially custom builds you ARE going to have the occasional bad part and this is where spending a little extra cash with companies like this is well worth the tiny bit extra.

Anyway modded the mount and got one of the Runcam micros installed and set up and went out for some test runs today. I was pleasantly surprised to find the factory settings in that camera to be near exact to what I run. I think the only difference was the blue level was off by 3 points and the Day night setting was different but the times were 5 seconds not the standard 3. (of course this camera has been sitting here waiting to be used in the FW 42 FPV system I am working up and I may have already did a base setting on it and not remember)

The first pack I flew went perfect.. The second not so much. The video was flawless but flying a 2.1 lens when being used to a 2.5 is disaster the the closer to the ground you get. Needless to say it took over 30 minutes to find Taz in the alfalfa and another hour plus to find the battery since the strap sheared off on impact. That was the only damage other then some mud on the front props.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Quite possibly my least favorite aspect to the hobby - searching for lost aircraft and/or parts. ;) I crashed my creampuff about 30' from me today and it still took 15 minutes to find in the leaves...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Gonna see if I can get out to the park tomorrow if its not sweltering heat again like it was today. I wanna rip a few fast runs now that I can see so I got an idea if my tune and my skills are up to a jump to 5s this month after I pay the bills. I might be able to swing a battery or two. More if I skip the electric and internet and double up next month on them while I got a little bit of good weather yet this coming month.

Then I have to find a policeman to poke and see if they can clock Taz out for me on some full speed runs to see if I met my goal of 100 mph so I can go back to normal thinking and flying hehe. this has caused enough stress already. :rolleyes:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well over the past three days of 90+ heat here I did a little testing and tuning. Finally late today got to get a few full throttle passes in now that I can reliably see where I am going AND trust it now. Still needs a touch more tweaking but on full throttle runs I am not spiking over 110 amps that I can see which is great for all things. Motors are still a tad warmer then I like but it was over 90 again today and I was actually hitting and hold full throttle across the field. Well as long as that short area would allow for anyways.

A few more touches on pitch and yaw and I should be ready for a safe swap to 5s for the real testing to start. Getting more and more comfortable flying this and I think I like the stretch frames much better then true x I have to say. Even for free style.

I just unloaded the footage from the dvr to computer and it seems there was a bunch of rebooting going on with it so there are spots in the middle of flights that are missed. I may try and cob together some high lights from today's runs or I just may wait and do some more tomorrow over at the park with what I have now for settings. Maybe get some track laps in to really see where the tune is as well as get a better idea exactly what needs touch up.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Had to go up to the post office to send back the Runcam mini. That was the issue all along with the video both when it was on the Gremlin and on Taz. Anway that got swapped out for a Runcam micro and I have been flying that. Still gettin used to the 2.1 mm lens vs the 2.5 mm on the mini and my Alien camera as well. Hopefully I will find some place that has the 2.5 mm for the micro in stock so I can grab a few of them.

Anyway after I left the post office I walked back down the hill to the park and started running laps. As Bills law dictates a partly cloudy day for everyone else will result in the Charlie Brown dark cloud over my head all day deal and I was dodging rain drops all morning. I did manage to get 4 packs in before it got too ominous though. The tune is getting tighter and I can run faster for the entire pack now with the heat on the motors getting less and less the tighter I get it. I am in a whole new realm at these speeds and not tuning for freestyle. I am hoping this all transfers over to 5s as I will be buying two of those with Octobers "Spare" cash if I can get the money on my prepaid before the sale is over on them..

Here is today's last flight before I had to scramble to pack everything up and get home reasonably dry.

I would love to know what the requirements to get on the Flight Test Airforce are so I know what to focus on and shoot for to maybe have a shot.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I THINK I may finally be happy enough to take this up to 5s and start seriously running harder. Everything is nice and cool. Seems to be respectably tuned as far as shakes and stutters as much as one can tell from crappy dvr footage anyways. Once I get 5s I can start testing props that others are racing with. I love the DAL Cyclones but still good to match the best combinations possible if you are going to try and compete on any level right.

I want to find a happy spot where the props accelerate good but I am more into them carrying speed better within the motors power band and not just an amp monster. It looked great today on the 4s pulling at 50 - 80 amps then carrying nice speed at 20 or less for longer distances then the Alien by far.

All in all baring the video issues (replacement camera is on the truck from Florida) I am very happy with this set up. Is it the best .. not by far but I think it can compete at least in the middle of the pack of pilots if given the chance. Time and luck will tell.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sooo.. I had a plan...

I really need more room to run then what I get in the back area or at the local park. It was perfectly gorgeous day today so I thought I would head up to the local school. KNOWING if I went into the school with a back pack and rolled up flags Bills Law would dictate that the SWAT team would be called and I would be on the evening news. Soo.. being smart I went to the farthest point on school property up to the track area and their official soccer field was. I knew as soon as I got the quad in the air the maintenance guys would be up there instantly with a 50/50 chance I would get someone cool or a total drone hating jerk on a power trip.

At the gate to the field there was an suv with an older lady sitting in the passenger side reading a news paper. I greeted her on the way by and asked if she knew what the policy was for people flying remote control toys there. She said she had no idea but there was an official soccer match at 2PM. I got there just around noon. Plenty of time to set up a small course and run 3 packs I have by the off chance I was not told to leave.

When I had arrived there was a gym class out on another field doing football drills who had started going back inside before I even had set up. I thought cool wont be interrupting anything and maybe all will be cool. I flew my heavy warm up battery doing some light freestyle then went out and set three flags out. I flew my first graphene pack and had an ok run just doing some low level controlled runs around the flags speeding up as I went.

As soon as this run was over I had picked up the quad and returned to the bench to change the last pack and think about what to work on when I saw the maintenance man pull up outside the fence. I thought OK well don't put it in the air sit there and let him come to you so I did not look like I was knowingly doing something I shouldn't. I got a cool dude who was very polite and asked if I was flying a drone. I told him I was flying a race quad and doing some flag practice. He said that was not allowed but was not sure if that was just during school hours or all the time. We talked a little more and I got the name of a person he said to speak with about what the ruling is. He also told me the office had called the local police and they were on their way. At that point I had written down the information and shook the guys hand to thank him.

the police had arrived by the time we were exchanging information and had met the maintenance man mid field on his way back to his truck. I assumed he told the officer there was no problem and I didn't give him crap. The officer was cool as well and we talked a bit while I was packing up my gear and he was taking my personal information. (be nice and respectful and most times the police will not hassle you. Its when you show attitude is when the get defensive)

He walked back out the gate and was speaking with the lady in the SUV while I walked around and picked up the flags and made sure I was heading out. I made the comment that I had to face the hill I had climbed to get there. I would say its a rise of 150 to 200 ft in less then a quarter mile to get up to that school which is why I RARELY fly there as I have to walk everywhere. That hill is like being back in aircrew training on the O course or something similar. Its brutal for me carrying a back pack up it. Anyway he was pretty cool and offered to drop me off down the hill since he was headed that way anyways. Long story short he was cool. I made a new friend and now have a contact for an official at the school which was the main goal for the day anyways.

Next phase trying to get permission to fly there regularly for faster runs in more open safer area. Maybe even find a place to fly in the gym over winter if they allow things like that.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Way to go Bill and nice example of how to play nice with people in authority. We should all take note and follow.