Psyborgs Edge 540 build log

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I actually did two glide tests.

The first with just the motor and weights added behind the wing to test how accurate the recomended cg was as I was leery of it being 3.25 inches from leading edge. Anyway I found where it glided nicely and the marks were a touch nose heavy.

This told me I was pretty close to what was specified. I figured I was a tad heavy handed with the glue on the cowl.

Anyway I started at the recomended once all the electronics were added As expected it was slightly nose heavy. A quick battery shift aft and I got the sweet spot using a 2200 mah 3s vs the smaller recomended battery.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@
I actually did two glide tests.

The first with just the motor and weights added behind the wing to test how accurate the recomended cg was as I was leery of it being 3.25 inches from leading edge. Anyway I found where it glided nicely and the marks were a touch nose heavy.

Does this mean that when she glided well she was nose heavy when you balanced her on the marks at 3.25 inches? This was how I intended to maiden her so it would be cool if you can confirm.

The other question I have is what are you starting out with on throws? In the early days (when I had little experience and just as much sense) I built the FT 3D twice and never liked it. Now I am beginning to think that I just didn't cut my throws enough to ease into it. The elevator and ailerons on this thing are scary big. I know its supposed to be 3D capable but if it trys to fly 3D on maiden I will be taking it home in one of those special plane crash bags.

DamoRC

Bricks

Master member
If you are not ready for 3D throws I usually set up a flight mode switch with 3 modes.
Mode 1 would be 50% throws and around 40% expo
Mode 2 would be 70% throws and around 65% expo
Mode 3 would be 100% throws and around 95-100% expo.
The reason for the differing expo is I want my very center stick to feel the same so I can fly with speed and high energy in high rates but have it feel like low throws around center stick.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@

Does this mean that when she glided well she was nose heavy when you balanced her on the marks at 3.25 inches? This was how I intended to maiden her so it would be cool if you can confirm.

The other question I have is what are you starting out with on throws? In the early days (when I had little experience and just as much sense) I built the FT 3D twice and never liked it. Now I am beginning to think that I just didn't cut my throws enough to ease into it. The elevator and ailerons on this thing are scary big. I know its supposed to be 3D capable but if it trys to fly 3D on maiden I will be taking it home in one of those special plane crash bags.

DamoRC

I posted my set up in #3 mixed in with the pics. Ben said this is very squirrelly and to go lower rates then normal until you are all trimmed and comfortable. As for throws (end points) I will set them as reccomended.

As for cg since this is a 3d plane with a symmetrical wing I would go with a perfect CG so outside factors dont mess with you for trim and all that.

Mine was just slightly aft of the 3.25 for that so depending where and how you lost the weight that may no longer apply?

The more seasoned builders and pilots would be a better source for solid info.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@PsyBorg and @Bricks

Thanks both. Definitely will go with 40% expo. Because I am not using the FT kit (servos or control horns) I will set high rates (whatever that % is) at 16 degrees throw per the plans and run half of that for low rates and maiden.

DamoRC

Bricks

Master member
Once use to a 3D plane and to really do 3D you will need more then 16 degrees throws. All my 3D planes have about the longest servo control horns I can get and use the farthest hole on the control surface control horns ( providing the servos have enough power ). I go into my servo setup on my radio and go to servo travel and increase these until the servo starts to buzz ( stalls ) then back off only until it stops buzzing on all control surfaces. This gives the best resolution of the servo one can get out of it..

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Once use to a 3D plane and to really do 3D you will need more then 16 degrees throws. All my 3D planes have about the longest servo control horns I can get and use the farthest hole on the control surface control horns ( providing the servos have enough power ). I go into my servo setup on my radio and go to servo travel and increase these until the servo starts to buzz ( stalls ) then back off only until it stops buzzing on all control surfaces. This gives the best resolution of the servo one can get out of it..
Same here!

Great work PsyBorg!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well its all done and ground tested. However I was not able to make it hop or even attempt to leave the ground.

I am pretty sure I did throttle calibration correctly and it rolls pretty nice on pavement.

Maybe someone can spot the issue from this video. I did a full power run up near the end with me holding it in place so you can catch something thats not right.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I think your tail is too high (he said with a straight face). What I mean is she can't rotate - an elevator can't lift the nose up, it pushes the tail down (thus the nose points in the air and off she goes). From my experience she is going more than fast enough to fly. Any way of lowering the tail (pushing or bending the rear wheel so that she is a little more nose up).

She tracks really well on the ground, I know some remote control cars that don't steer that well!

DamoRC

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So basically its sittitng too level and the tail needs to squat.

Kinda makes sense til I mull it over and I think of level flight. I guess ground handling is a different story.

I shall see what I can do to get the angle of attack more skyward and try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip and the comments. For general information its work to keep that rolling straight. Many a slow run was made to get the muscle memory and feel to be able to do that on full throws.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
So basically its sittitng too level and the tail needs to squat.

Kinda makes sense til I mull it over and I think of level flight. I guess ground handling is a different story.

When you're in the air, there is nothing (like the ground) stopping the tail from being pushed down :) I was going to say you can always hand launch it, then I remembered the last time...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ewwwww ramps... thats so eastern and ancient.

If I go with a launch system it will be two 2x4s lined with 20000 volt hei supercoils and a bunch of portable drill batteries.:geek:

Catch up with the times gentso_O:devilish:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It FLEW!!!!!

Changing the angle of attack made the difference. I was able to pop it up a few times in the parking lot.

Sadly I found my landing gear wire to be more wanting then originally thought. The last hop went a tad further then I wanted and I set it down a little rough. When the gear flexed it ground the prop tips off leaving a jagged edge.

I will see what I can do about the gear and save my last prop from the power pack for a real flight at the park.

This was done between rain showers so no video this time.