Psyborgs GGBO entry and evolution. 10,000th post edition

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So two things happening right now. First I am not building a quad this year and have decided to try my hand at a guitar build. Not quite a kit build but certainly not a from scratch build either. I am kicking this thread off as a side project and to celebrate my 10,000th post annoying you lot. This will be done in stages as I can afford and gather parts just as if I were building one of my flying beasties so updates will be sporadic at best.

The plan is to base the guitar off a PRS (Paul Reed Smith) style guitar but make a few changes which may or may not work. I am not a fan or standard 3x3 tuner head stocks like a traditional guitar. I prefer the inline set ups so that will be the first deviation from a real PRS. I have decided to go with a left handed Hockey stick style neck used by Jackson guitars. Basically pointy end up.

I chose the body to be made with Mahogany with the PRS carved Maple top with an all maple neck with matching maple fretboard. The plan for the electronics will be either a set of EMG Glenn Tipton Vengean to honor one of my favorite players ever. That is depending on availability at the time I can afford them. If not the second choice is to try out Lace pick ups which are a very unique change up in how guitar pickups are made.

I want to coil split both the bridge and neck pick ups so I have ordered two 500k ohm push pull volume controls id I am able to acquire the GTV pickup set. If not I will go dual humbuckers with the Lace pick ups.

Still not sure what to do either color wise or carve wise to make it more unique. One of the Ideas I have kicking about is to round the edges of the top and bottom for the entire side of the body and wrap that in the same Tolex material I used to cover one of my guitar cases sort of like an inlay that wraps the whole guitar. I really thing the dark Tolex will really compliment the gorgeous blond maple on both the body and neck as well as contrast well with the Mahogany back. I want to shape the edges round like a seam for things like car upholstery do to make the Tolex appear to be sewn to the wood. May even go as far as to wrap that rounded edge using embroidery thread to add to the effect.

Now I know it sounds strange as the guitar will have a rock and roll look but a semi countryish style if I go with the Tolex. I DID mention unique right? Anyways those decisions will be made on the fly as I gather parts and form a final direction to take the build. I always have the option to go with a painted finish but after seeing the grain on the body that arrived a short while ago would be a sin to the guitar gods and a last ditch save the look effort should I mess it all up. Staining the grain in some unique colors is also an option on the table still both as an addition and an option to the Tolex wrap.

And here is a picture of the case I used the Tolex on that I am thinking to use as an edge wrap.

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

Here is the neck unboxing.

And here is the details of my fail. It starts out looking great..

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Here is the final video submission as well as a montage of all the pictures I took to get the 5 official entry pics.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This is what I expect to see :

What they don't show you is the ENTIRE thing getting soaked in Epoxy resin. Watch the flat sides when they hit the light. Cardboard doesn't shine like that. If you look close you don't see ANY movement of the cardboard where it rests on someones leg, when they hand it off to someone else... Not to mention the back side of an all cardboard neck would be destroyed in minutes of sliding around and sweaty hands. I can imagine how uncomfortable that would be to play for anything more then a song or two.

It does LOOK cool but realistically pretty much useless much past being a show piece in someone with wayyyy to much money to spends collection.

dap35

Elite member
What they don't show you is the ENTIRE thing getting soaked in Epoxy resin. Watch the flat sides when they hit the light. Cardboard doesn't shine like that. If you look close you don't see ANY movement of the cardboard where it rests on someones leg, when they hand it off to someone else... Not to mention the back side of an all cardboard neck would be destroyed in minutes of sliding around and sweaty hands. I can imagine how uncomfortable that would be to play for anything more then a song or two.

It does LOOK cool but realistically pretty much useless much past being a show piece in someone with wayyyy to much money to spends collection.
No one said it was practical - just cool. :)

Robert S

This is the first guitar I put together. I bought an old used squire body off of ebay and then bought a decent neck. That freak'en paint job took me a couple weeks. You basically shoot the body a solid color, then apply a template, shoot it again. Rinse and repeat. I gave it light Matte clear coat afterwards and then painted the Pick Guard Coyote Brown so that it was like (at the time) my interceptor vest.

I used a cheap squire body because this was going to be my "field guitar" that I took on deployments with me but the paint turned out so nice, I never took it. lol. I eventually changed it over to dual humbuckers.

Attachments

• 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 052 (2).jpg
    052 (2).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Reminds me of my first kit guitar I got when I was in the Navy. It was a half completed Tele someone who was getting out started. I bought it for 50 bucks and finished it up to playable. It was kind of funny as (and we ALL know this type) a guy on board that called it a piece driftwood. The funny part is that moron was playing an off the rack 300 dollar Ibanez.. You know that "sick repulsive electric twanger" they spoke of in Twisted Sisters video "I wanna Rock" thing was so tinny that dogs would bark on shore when he played. To top it off he played thru a fender twin reverb which made it sound even thinner and annoying.

As an update the two Bournes push pull pots will be here any day and the neck is on one of the row boats from China. I emailed Lace about asking if they might be kind enough to sponsor the pick ups for this build so I can afford to pay the $25 to enter the contest officially and to be able to have the parts to do the build in the time allotted. I can save the cash to do the build but not in time to officially enter the build off and have all the parts in hand.

@Robert S Maybe you could tag in to the contest and build another one.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well the neck got here a week earlier then expected. Guess the Rowboat had a fresh crew! Unboxing video added to the first post.

Of course there is NOTHING I do where Bills Law doesn't stick its bumpy ugly crooked nose into so here is the curve it threw on me today.

I looked at several bodies I wanted to try and had originally decided to do a Gibson Firebird copy. By the time I had saved the money to actually order it Bills Law had made sure it was out of stock with the "We don't know when we will have another in stock" tag. So I went to my second choice and Explorer. Again out of stock. Third choice was a toss up between a Flying V and this PRS copy. I have a semi V already so I figured no need to have two similar guitars. So the PRS won the day.

Being unfamiliar with them I didn't notice nor pay attention to how close to the front of the body the neck pick up is. There is hardly any surface to glue to at the front of the body. I always loved the style neck I chose so I had it in my list on Amazon. as I said I originally wanted to do a Gibson style body and love that style of neck. Both the Firebird and the Explorer are bolt on bodies and the neck would have been perfect.

Naturally when I had save enough to order the neck and the two specialty switches I wanted I just clicked buy and never gave it a second thought. That leaves me where I am now shown in the third video in the series. I now have a choice to source wood and modify the neck to work with the body or set that body aside and get another body to match the neck OR vice verse get another neck for this body.

Both videos I shot today have been added to the first post. Let the laughing begin for my failure to pay attention to details...

basslord1124

Master member
Catching up on this obviously. Love both the body and neck...neat combo. As for your predicament, I really have no idea what I would do. I'd say if you either 1) got the mad guitar building skills OR 2) don't have the mad guitar building skills BUT are crazy enough OR 3) have the skills and are crazy you could make it work with some wood modifications. Hmm, maybe somebody else out there has done something similar so you can see what they had done. Otherwise, you got the route of exchanges/refunds of what will work together.

Best of luck with the project, I'll try and keep up with it. "Might" even try and tackle a bass build...I'm in the research phase now of it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Catching up on this obviously. Love both the body and neck...neat combo. As for your predicament, I really have no idea what I would do. I'd say if you either 1) got the mad guitar building skills OR 2) don't have the mad guitar building skills BUT are crazy enough OR 3) have the skills and are crazy you could make it work with some wood modifications. Hmm, maybe somebody else out there has done something similar so you can see what they had done. Otherwise, you got the route of exchanges/refunds of what will work together.

Best of luck with the project, I'll try and keep up with it. "Might" even try and tackle a bass build...I'm in the research phase now of it.

I haz a plan..at least for the neck attachment. Still will be a set neck and will still have full 25.5 inch scale length as well as have both pickups mounted although one may not be the traditional humbucker style.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So the competition has ended on the 30th of June. Been super busy getting this all done in time. I managed to finish the final video submission 3 or so hours before the lock.

Ill be updating the line of posts at the top of this thread with all the new stuff I have done.

If anyone feels like helpin a brother out the voting runs now until July 5th. Here is the link to my build if you are willing. But.. feel free to vote on any of the other awesome build people have done. It supports a great thing Crimson guitars is doing. Sorta like the Flite Test of the Guitar world.

https://greatguitarbuildoff.com/products/william-brown

Just gotta click the heart on that page to help me out. Currently I am 33rd out of 106 entries in my class. Top 10 move on to final judges by professionals in music.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks for the votes guys. over doubled what I had so far. sitting with 26 votes now. Looks like many did not complete in time so there are only 63 actual entries to vote on. That 26 puts me at 33rd and it looks like the top 10 are between 91 and 347.

Just a bump to see if anyone else here wants to help out and vote. Much appreciated if you do or have already.