Psyborgs Team Rockyboy Caudron build

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wow did you clear coat that too? or just buff n wax it? It looks much shinier in your pictures.

It's all in the lighting :p

Once that has been tested and maidened a cockpit would complete it. I started to design it and I think I left you the pattern and the blueberry package lid to cut it from didn't I? No biggie without it as long as it flys for you I will be very happy and glad you took time to finish it up.

I think you did send me home with the pattern, but I've lost it in the chaos of the workshop and will probably find it again packing for FliteFest next summer :(

I was thinking of doing some sort of quick air diverter thing to reduce the drag for maiden flight, and then once I know she's going to stay in the air for a bit take the time to build up a good one.

Did you go with my idea to line the aileron cutouts in balsa or did you do something different?

I'm embarrassed to say I cheaped out again here in the desire to get in the air and left it with foam lining rather than balsa. The balsa would be more secure and last longer - and again I hope to come back to that after a couple flights.

Oh yeah forgot to answer you about original prop for that motor when it was on the Pitts.. manual says 13x6 and I sent all the ones I had with you for that. The speed controller is a 50 amp in case you cant dig in and see in case you want to run numbers for different props. The motor is BM3720A-KV650 and I believe they are both made by Detrum

Thanks! I'll dig through the prop pile for that one, or something close :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Good to see people are still playing with these race birds. My Folkerts is sitting forlornly in a corner hoping to fly again someday. I think my wife would be really happy if I never ever flew it again though!

It must fly!! Maybe not on a weekly basis, but at least once a season, right?

I still haven't gotten the nose replaced on my blue Caudron, but it's at about number 4 in the work queue now, and creeping up.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
It must fly!! Maybe not on a weekly basis, but at least once a season, right?

Once a season...yeah, I could go with that.

I need to get my GP Rifle going. It's mostly fixed up...bought it for $20 and it was in two pieces. Just needs sanding and paint now.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
A quick update to keep me honest on the project here; I've got her all wired up, radio programmed - all that's missing is a 5mm propeller collet that I ordered today cause my current one isn't long enough for the spinner I picked up.

She's so purty, and I'm more than a bit nervous of doing something regretful... probably going to save the maiden flight for a day when I can get at least one other FT buddy to come help. I need witnesses :)

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
A quick update to keep me honest on the project here; I've got her all wired up, radio programmed - all that's missing is a 5mm propeller collet that I ordered today cause my current one isn't long enough for the spinner I picked up.

She's so purty, and I'm more than a bit nervous of doing something regretful... probably going to save the maiden flight for a day when I can get at least one other FT buddy to come help. I need witnesses :)

I'd love to make it out there some time soon... Things are STUPID busy at work but if you let me know when you're thinking I'll do my best :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'd love to make it out there some time soon... Things are STUPID busy at work but if you let me know when you're thinking I'll do my best :)

That would be awesome! :)

Once the collet comes in I'll check the weather and let you know what's likely

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

It is what it is mate. When I started this I never expected it to get this far. If it flys have fun and enjoy it. If it dont fly have more fun and make it spectacular!! Its foam and paint. We all know these things have a limited life span before we even touch them. If you are that worried and want to keep it as a hangar queen that works too.

I got my enjoyment from it by being part of your team. Its even past my expectations as its actually going to get tossed in the air under power. Today looks like the best day for the next week to do any flying here. Mid 40s and sunny with 3 mph winds. Will have snow on the ground tomorrow morning in some form and depth TBD due to Lake effect potentials.

Thats why I am up already so I can resolder a broken power lead on my Gremlin and maybe redo the grounds on Taz's OSD to see if that clears up the drop out issues that are common with this PDB. (shoulda done more research instead of impulse buy at FFE) Maybe get a round of flights on both if the fingers will bend properly to work the sticks.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Oh she will fly! At least once, and at least 10 feet. I'm pretty sure Carl's arm has than much of a throw in it :p

And it was the most fun ever to be part of team RC project! In fact, all the fun we are having with Team Rockyboy is what prompted me to say "Yes" to taking on the community organizer challenge for this summer. Not only do we get another project with this team, we get to start lots of other people into this part of the hobby too :)

On the flying side, it sounds like you've got building season coming on strong, and just a couple weeks ahead of us here in the DC area. We're looking at freezing overnight temps this week, and with mornings being in the 40s it's just not much fun to stand around with bare fingers.

On a good note, I'll be completely done with the FY-42 mini build documents and challenge entry by end of next week and be ready to start pouring on the coals with you on the big one :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Its Sunny, mid 40's today and only 3 mph winds forcasted. My sorry butt will be outside with the Gremlin and possibly Taz. I just replaced the Xt30 wire I broke yesterday on the Borgling and managed to actually flash the osd on Taz's PDB using an FTDI connection for the first time (and have it work).

I have FINALLY worked out a viable gun mounts for the big 42 that can be used at your discretion either in a closed front / rear or the open cup style of the original pics. I am gluing one up to test later today while batteries are charging. I think I have read thru and watched the set up video enough times to get the stick commands right to set up the Camera switch without letting the smoke out from the power hard wired jumpers, and can focus on the Bomb Bay as soon as I get a confirmed width and placement as that will be a one piece unit with the Cock pit / bomb sight rig. I will make it sectional but that whole thing should be plug n play. Then all I have to do is wire it as one whole circuit and set up the "special functions" for the turrets.