PT-17 Stearman (from Raleigh Aeromasters)

Strider

Strider, What motor are you using? Looks good, is that tape or colored foam board?

Ram, Thanks glad I was able to help.

mrstamp80,
Thanks , am using ntm prop drive 1200kV, with a 8x4 apc style props. Those are colored foam boards, similar to the dollar tree foam, where i am, its hard to get paper layered depron.
I taped the boards using clear packing tape.

Last edited:

mrstamp80

Strider, Have you flown it yet?

Here is just a quick update of where i am at. I began taping it up. It's still loosely together in the photos. I am shooting to have this completed and in the air by next weekend. I have everything to finish it except for TIME. I am still not sure what to do about the tail wheel any suggestions?

ster 6.JPG
ster 7.JPG

I did find that Staples (in my area) now sells colored packing tape. It's made by Duct tape but it is packing tape @ $5.99 a roll and is very transparent. Just a FYI .

oldjoe1931

Tail Wheel

I just bend a piece 0.060 wire and use a small foam wheel. I then just hot glue it to the rudder. It has been on there now for almost 2 years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

Strider

Strider, Have you flown it yet?

Here is just a quick update of where i am at. I began taping it up. It's still loosely together in the photos. I am shooting to have this completed and in the air by next weekend. I have everything to finish it except for TIME. I am still not sure what to do about the tail wheel any suggestions?

I did find that Staples (in my area) now sells colored packing tape. It's made by Duct tape but it is packing tape @ $5.99 a roll and is very transparent. Just a FYI .

Hi, maiden it last Saturday.
It did not go well, almost crashed actually, but i managed to land it in one piece.
Lesson learnt - never, never fly a tail heavy plane. The excitement got the best of me i guess. I went up fully aware that it was a tad tail heavy.

Landing gear was damaged, easy repair with hot glue.

So now i'm trying to put a bit more weight in front, so that it would balance and may try to extend the nose part a bit more.

Your build is looking great.
Looks like you folded your wings at the LE for the kfm step, i wish i had done that. Looks way nicer.

Last edited:

mrstamp80

Oldjoe , thanks for the tip, I'll figure some thing out.

Strider, I did fold and used foam spar, I am also using DTFB. I was hopping that the added weight of the foam would help balance it out a little. I had already cut the foam out and didn't want to do it over by extending the nose out a inch. I figure i can make some type of motor mount the will push the motor out for the added length.
Here is a update where i am at. Got the landing gear from www.headsuprc.com Just got motor mount to build and install servos etc. My goal is to have it in the air this weekend. (weather permitting)

ster 8.JPG
ster 9.JPG
ster 10.JPG

Strider

Oldjoe , thanks for the tip, I'll figure some thing out.

Strider, I did fold and used foam spar, I am also using DTFB. I was hopping that the added weight of the foam would help balance it out a little. I had already cut the foam out and didn't want to do it over by extending the nose out a inch. I figure i can make some type of motor mount the will push the motor out for the added length.
Here is a update where i am at. Got the landing gear from www.headsuprc.com Just got motor mount to build and install servos etc. My goal is to have it in the air this weekend. (weather permitting)

mrstamp80,

I ended up extending the motor mount base to about 18mm, i used a bamboo stick, stuck it the middle to reinforce it.
I also added about 30g worth of weight in front.
Now it balances out nicely with a 1300mAh, and slightly nose heavy when using 2200mAh.

stearman 1.jpg
stearman nose extension.jpg

Waiting for the weekend for re maiden...lol.

mrstamp80

Alright got a update!

For the motor mount i built a boxed nose using foamboard square using A and B folds. Was 2'' in length and seemed to be balanced "well enough" to fly!!! Time to Maiden!
ster 14.JPG
ster 16.JPG
ster 15.JPG That tree jumped out and grabbed it!
Still TOO tail Heavy, back to the drawing board!

This time around I extended the boxed nose to 4" and a 1'' inlay-(grooves cut to slide into airframe). This boxed nose Works out very well as it stiffens the profile fuse up. It balances out very nice now and IS nose heavy. As it also gave me room to sit my battery even farther forward. Here is the finished product. Also i am still working on a build video, and will have it up when i get this bird flying well.
ster 11.JPG
ster 12.JPG
ster 13.JPG

mrstamp80

In retrospect, I prolly should have just rebuilt and extended the fuse about 4" in the front. But where is the fun in that?

Strider

Your stearman looks good there sir, i like the idea of the extended box motor mount. :). Looks sturdy.

Mine flew beautifully after the the cg adjustments.

mrstamp80

I am sure I could recess it into. I wanted to try and fly it first and see if this does it. If it works out ok, then i will proly make something to recess it into the box. Either way this box nose works out very well to stiffen the fuse and gives you great reinforcement on the lite ply for the mount after covering it with extreme packing tape.

mrstamp80

Well got it to fly decent. Here is a video of all my changes. Sorry for the short flight video (skip to 18:00). Let me know what you all think thanks.

thankyou for the extra info just one more question

I want to build the 114% version were the KF sizes you quoted for that 114% version??
kind regards
Ross from OZ

oldjoe1931

I want to build the 114% version were the KF sizes you quoted for that 114% version??
kind regards
Ross from OZ

The kf on the 114% is 2 5/8" or 66.5mm from the leading edge on both the top and bottom wings. You will also need to extend the nose by 3/4" or 19.5mm after the plans are enlarged.

oldjoe1931

Gear Modification

Another modification that we did on the 114% was to address the Dubro 943 plastic gear being a little weak for the weight of the airframe. We drilled out the axel holes to accept a solid axel of 3mm carbon. Installed the wheels with the collars on the exterior only. This stiffened the gear and also let the axel float some for the not so perfect landings.

Ignore the wire above the axel! This was tried first and did not work!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    930.9 KB · Views: 11

oldjoe1931

Servo Location

I wanted to post a picture to help with locating the elevator and rudder servos. I like to use 2mm solid carbon rod with metal ends. You can epoxy or just CA the metal to the carbon. If you keep the servos forward it greatly helps with the CG on this airframe.

I really enjoy this Stearman/Pt-17. I have flown it on the windiest days ..........when most aircraft stay grounded!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25

oldjoe1931

Micro Stearman!

Inspired by a club member to make this Stearman smaller! We reduced it down to 50%........ Now it is about 17" and 2.5 oz. I had a Micro Beast donor airframe with all the electronics. 180 brushless motor, 180mah 2 cell battery, and servos. We did the maiden today and it flew perfect. Plenty of power and handled the outdoor flying well. It was built using 2mm depron with 2mm carbon rod to reinforce the wings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12

mudman1959

125% Stearman... Comes in at a 48 inch wingspan. Just started building it today, cut out the plans, traced them out on the foam and cut out the parts. The basic airframe is all glued now to protect it with some polyurethane then to paint it... Mudman1959

12193832_10205044523017725_1088519958602894313_n.jpg 12243177_10205044737223080_5376392461397275022_n.jpg