PT-17 Stearman (from Raleigh Aeromasters)

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

The members at Raleigh Aeromasters flying club gave us this scratch built Boeing PT-17 Stearman as a gift!

flite-test-dr-joeys-sterman-00-04-47-22-still009-png_1412813019.jpg

This scratch built (depron) foam flyer is a custom build based on the Eagle-RC.com Boeing PT-17 Boeing Stearman plans. Currently, the eagle-rc.com website is offline, but the plans are available HERE

flite-test-dr-joeys-sterman-00-04-31-16-still011-png_1412814204.jpg

Just about everyone at Raleigh Aeromasters flying club signed this PT-17.

flite-test-dr-joeys-sterman-00-02-20-22-still005-png_1412813051.jpg

Dr. Joey presented the custom made Stearman and we had a chance to do some flying with him!

flite-test-dr-joeys-sterman-00-02-59-07-still007-png_1412813033.jpg

This airplane handled great! As we performed knife-edges, loops, inverted and we were even able to hover it.

flite-test-dr-joeys-sterman-00-04-20-03-still008-png_1412813028.jpg

The paint scheme is fantastic on this scratch build airplane, they really put some time into this build.

flite-test-dr-joeys-sterman-00-02-02-19-still004-png_1412813056.jpg

We flew this at this years eWeek at Triple Tree Aerodrome.

flite-test-dr-joeys-sterman-00-01-47-09-still003-png_1412813065.jpg

flite-test-dr-joeys-sterman-00-03-19-16-still010-png_1412813153.jpg

This depron scratch built Stearman looks like it'd be a fun relatively easy to build.

flite-test-dr-joeys-sterman-00-00-23-20-still001-png_1412813112.jpg

This is a really nice design and this custom design, based on the original plans, is really impressive.

flite-test-dr-joeys-sterman-00-02-47-01-still006-png_1412813037.jpg

Get your free Audible.com audio book here:
www.Audible.com/flitetest

Learn more about the Raleigh Aeromasters Flying Club:
www.ramsrc.com

(Currently, the eagle-rc.com website is offline)
But the Build Plans are available on RCGroups:
PT-17 Stearman BUILD PLANS

Thanks again to Dr. Joey and everyone at the Raleigh Aeromasters! We'll put this scratch build Stearman to good use!

ClearSkiesCalmWinds

I downloaded the plans too. Any chance of getting some info (more PICs) on the mods that the FT version has (built up fus etc...) Motor and ESC specs etc... Going to try it out of DTFB this weekend.

mrstamp80

I D/L the plans, went to staples got them blown up, then off to the dollar store for some foam board, and now getting ready to build. A few things i need help with understanding. If you look in the picture of josh and Joie holding the plans you can clearly see on joie's that the bottom wing has a 2 step KF airfoi and the top wing a single step KF airfoil. There is no mention of this in the plans or the build instructions. Not sure what to do, anyone else notice this?

Maybe I will build my own airfoil kinda like the bloody wonder and use a foam spar. Any other thoughts?

Billchuck

off to the dollar store for some foam board, and now getting ready to build. A few things i need help with understanding. If you look in the picture of josh and Joie holding the plans you can clearly see on joie's that the bottom wing has a 2 step KF airfoi and the top wing a single step KF airfoil. There is no mention of this in the plans or the build instructions. Not sure what to do, anyone else notice this?

I think both are 1 step airfoils. On the bottom wing the aileron hinge looks like a second step.

mrstamp80

^ yeah you are right both are 1 step as i looked again it was the aileron hinge that got me. Either way, the plans and instructions have no mention of it.

oldjoe1931

Kf step on top and bottom wing.........2 5/8" or 66.5mm from leading edge. I used 5mm carbon tube right behind the kf step. The "Flite Test Stearman" was enlarged 114%. Triple the fuselage to just behind the rear cockpit.

Specs:
Wingspan 44 inches (1247mm)
Overall Length 34 inches (964mm)
Flying Weight 30.2 oz (856 grams) this include the 2200mah 3 cell
Motor Size: Firepower 15 Brushless 960 kva (35-42-10)
Prop Size: 11x5.5e APC
Speed Control: 45 Amp
Tail Wheel Steerable
Landing Gear: Du-bro micro #943
Wheels: 3 inch Mpi Lite foam
Servos: 9 gram
Battery: 2200mah 3 Cell 40c
Foam Material: Depron 6mm or 1/4 inch

mrstamp80

I am actually in the process of building one, making my own airfoil changes. I will post a video when its complete with the changes.

oldjoe1931

Tail Heavy!!!

Oh! The most important modification!!!!!! Lengthen the nose by 3/4" or 19.5mm this thing builds tail heavy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

Canair

I found the PDF of the build.

It give pretty good instructions on how to mod the original plans. I'm debating whether or not DTFB will be sturdy enough, or employ the elmers foamcore.

mrstamp80

Well I i didn't mod the fuse to add the extra length. I think DTFB will be strong enough, I built both wings in 2 pieces and made a airfoil, just like the BW,Versa Wing. I also made a foam spar just like all the other FT planes. I hope with the added weight of this will off set the difference, I can always build my motor mount to stick out a bit. I will post some pictures tonight.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
Such a cool thing! I love how much the community is taking on themselves these days. I've seen so many plans come to fruition through forum members lately. Such an awesome thing! The diversity of cheap yet fun airframes have been increasing rapidly lately and it's such a great thing to have happen! VERY cool!

Canair

Let's see some pictures ;)

Well I i didn't mod the fuse to add the extra length. I think DTFB will be strong enough, I built both wings in 2 pieces and made a airfoil, just like the BW,Versa Wing. I also made a foam spar just like all the other FT planes. I hope with the added weight of this will off set the difference, I can always build my motor mount to stick out a bit. I will post some pictures tonight.

mrstamp80

This no where near finished. It is loosely sitting together. I have not trimmed the edges, no servos yet, etc. ster 1.JPG ster 2.JPG ster 3.JPG ster 4.JPG ster 5.JPG

Canair

Nicely done. The wings look great.

Are you going to double up the board on the fuse, or is it strong enough?

Also, what motor are you considering for this?

mrstamp80

Thanks, I am doing a build log/video for my YT channel, (mrstamp80) I will put it up when i finish this thing.
I am not sure if i am going to double up on the fuse yet. I have a scratch built 3D plane made from foamboard that i hammer on and it hasn't come apart yet. (picture at bottom has been gutted) It is a similar design fuse, just something me and my buddy came up with to see if it would work fly's awesome for 3d practice.
Motor i plan on using is what i got laying around i am gonna try. Turnigy DST1200 (57gram) either 8x4.7 or 9x4.7 slofly 20amp esc and proly a little 3s 1000mah. I will keep updating with pics and weight etc. as I go on with it. I ordered my servos (4x9gr) and "Y" harness and some landing gear frame from headsuphobby.com should be here thursday.
Also what to do about the tail wheel???

3d 1.JPG

Strider

Hi guys, this is my first posting and its with a stearman.

IMG-20141012-WA0058.jpg IMG-20141012-WA0059.jpg IMG-20141012-WA0056.jpg IMG-20141012-WA0057.jpg

The almost finished product, still have to mount the receiver, esc and do some wire arrangments.

I went with a 2 piece vertical and 1 piece horizontal fuse, wings are kfm step. For electronics i used what i had from my previous builds.
The colors do not match the ones in the FT article.

Stearman complete.jpg

1 question though, do i follow the CG in the plans, which is 67mm from the front of the top mount? Now its a bit tail heavy even with the landing gear and 2200mah batt.

Thanks

Last edited:

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks, I am doing a build log/video for my YT channel, (mrstamp80) I will put it up when i finish this thing.
I am not sure if i am going to double up on the fuse yet. I have a scratch built 3D plane made from foamboard that i hammer on and it hasn't come apart yet. (picture at bottom has been gutted) It is a similar design fuse, just something me and my buddy came up with to see if it would work fly's awesome for 3d practice.
Motor i plan on using is what i got laying around i am gonna try. Turnigy DST1200 (57gram) either 8x4.7 or 9x4.7 slofly 20amp esc and proly a little 3s 1000mah. I will keep updating with pics and weight etc. as I go on with it. I ordered my servos (4x9gr) and "Y" harness and some landing gear frame from headsuphobby.com should be here thursday.
Also what to do about the tail wheel???

View attachment 32630

Watched your videos on the FS-T6, very helpful. Looking forward to your build log.

mrstamp80

Strider, What motor are you using? Looks good, is that tape or colored foam board?

Ram, Thanks glad I was able to help.