Pulled the trigger...

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
CLICK!! CLICK!!! CLICK!! CLICK!!!

I don't have anything to say except the fact that your MS Mustang build looks really niceeee......

Thanks. :) I fully intend to paint it, but I found paint goes on the Dollar Tree foamboard a little nicer after it's been treated with a thin coat of Minwax. That way, it'll take the Rustoleum and acrylic brush on paint a little better, and will have an almost non-existent chance of the spray paint eating the foam.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
oh crap... just found two more complete RMRC maxi-swift 1800 flying wing kits still in the box...
BIGRMRCwing.jpg

Last edited:

Clapaucius

The Goblin arrived yesterday, I and my son completed the airframe assembly today - that is we did screw wings in place and applied the decals. The holes in fuselage and wings were close to alignment, but still off enough to make bolting the wings on a bit difficult, but after squeezing, pushing and light application of the exacto knife we did prevail.
The canopy lock on this thing does not work and is too flimsy to be trusted to remain latched even under light stresses - we had to throw it out immediately. Luckily, the problem is not new and there are several existing replacement designs on Thingiverse. We went with https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4722187 and that works quite well.

Next step make electronics setup. The pins/wires are not soldered onto the flight controller yet and VTX is on order, so it is 0% complete at this point. The cold white stuff is all over the place outside and shows no big hurry to melt away, so we are not in a rush though. We might attempt to fly this wing LOS with plain spektrum setup first anyway - that motor and 5x4.5x3 prop the wing came with look awfully small for the airframe of this size. We did not fly wings other than Versa before, so this might be my inexperience speaking, but previous revisions of the wing used 2217 Cobra motor instead of Emax 2308, which is quite a bit smaller than Cobra visually. Are people actually flying with this setup and find Emax 2308 adequate?

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
From what I have read, the smaller motor is a trade off for lower weight, slower landing speed, and longer flight times over all out speed. I remember seeing the beta version at FliteFest a few years ago, and it absolutely ripped ballz!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am mildly afraid this motor takes away the autolaunch option for iNav. One really has to chuck it to get going.
Should not be an issue with the correct weight balance and enough throttle. The whole plane is lighter unless you are loading it up with heavy batteries.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Should not be an issue with the correct weight balance and enough throttle. The whole plane is lighter unless you are loading it up with heavy batteries.

I have had no problems launching at 3/4 to full throttle, and then backing off after I get it moving comfortably through the air.