Purchasing experience with Leader hobby

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
OK, I've put the plane together using the 8g servos and one of the 30A ESCs from the same order. I've also used the stick mount to attach a 1200kv KD-A2210 (a high quality Hobbyking sourced motor). I had to be creative with how I used it though.

The plane is essentially a copy of the Lanyu EPO ME109, which is a copy of the Guanli EPS ME109, which is a copy of the GWS ME109. The paint is the glossy, flaky stuff. This has come off in little cracks here and there. I'm not going to complain too much about them, but the paint job is definitely going to look a bit shabby after a few months of regular flying... Never mind. Also similar to the above mentioned manufacturers, CoG is not achievable without modifying some hard to reach firewall so the battery can slide far enough forward. The props that came with it are monstrous 10x4.7 and put out some serious thrust with the motor I've picked. They're also absolutely perfectly balanced out of the packet.

The servos seem to be OK. They don't twitch or do other silly things (yet). I was impressed that the ESCs and motor came pre-soldered (with a Deans and 3.5mm connectors), and the motor came with a full accessory pack, including connectors for the ESC! The ESCs are a but chunky. They look like the classic job of sticking heatsinks on lower rated units. I haven't fired up the motor yet, but it looks pretty good quality.

I'll let you know how the maiden goes, but I think I've gone beyond the realms of the purchase experience. The stuff is reasonable quality, reasonably promptly posted and dirt cheap. I'd have to say I'm happy.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Oh yeah, to top it off, I reviewed the plane on the site and got an email with a code for 5% off my next purchase!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Alrighty... I still haven't maidened the ME-109 (the (leader)ESC/(Hobbyking)motor combo didn't like each other) but I'm happy enough with it.

Leader have passed the first test, however, as I've made a new order with them. A Hobbyking SS ESC went ballistic on me today and almost fried the motor on my Pitts, after which I plugged it back into the Bixler and it fried the new motor :( I really liked the motor in the Bixler, so I've ordered a new one from Leader.

One big benefit of ordering from Leader is that you can set the currency to Euros or GBP, and the order completes in that currency rather than reverting back to US$. Good new for us Aussies.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Old thread I know but I placed an order from LeaderHobby on November 22, 2012 for 5 small motors and 8 prop adapters. It made it to Zurich, Switzerland by December 22, 2012. I have no idea why it traveled across going West when most China packages just wing it East to the USA. 5 Days later it showed up in Texas at my Local Post Office. 1 month from China to Switzerland by overland Yak I assume :mad: then 5 days from there to me :applause:. I don't think I will buy from them again any time soon.:(

Thurmond

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Swiss Post. All packages sent Swiss Post go via Zurich.

I have to say I haven't been tempted to buy from them again since May. They rarely have anything in stock and they never have the prices I was tempted by in the first place.

Johi

WARNING!! BEWARE OF LEADERHOBBY - IT IS A SCAMMING COMPANY.

Don't order from leaderhobby. They could not deliver the items I've ordered. When I finally requested refunding to my PayPal account they started to play a waiting game with me with meaningless e-mails. I'm now waiting for much more than two week for refunding and reminded them at least every 2nd day. So far nothing happened. I guess my money is lost. If you are interested in more details, write me an e-mail: jvogel@vetphys.uzh.ch

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Saying they're scammers is going a bit far... They're a failed business. You'll get your money back if you pursue through the right avenues.

I think their biggest mistake was taking on Hobbyking, who, judging by the (legal) tactics used were quite worried about their competition initially.