Pusher Propeller Question

Jim G

I recently built what I call a Boom Trainer fashioned after Andrew Newton's on YouTube. My question: What is the difference between the "pusher" prop and the regular ccw prop I'm using on my planes with the prop in the front.
Thank you
Jim G.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
Hi Jim, A pusher prop is not required. The prop functions the same on a pusher and tractor configuration. The size numbers printed on the prop are printed on the front. The front of the prop faces forward on the tractor setup and should be facing forward in the boom pusher style as well.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I may be mistaken, but I think before the multirotor craze, a pusher prop was just another name for a reverse rotation prop. That is because if you are flying a regular ccw prop that is mounted on the front of your plane and you move the motor to a pusher position without changing the motors direction of rotation, the prop will then be spinning in the wrong direction. So you either had to reverse the motor direction, or get a prop that is made for the reverse rotation.

So a regular (ccw) and pusher/reverse (cw) prop will both work in the pusher configuration. Just make sure the motor direction is correct.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
To put it simply you have:
Tractor configuration with the prop up front pulling the plane.
Prop slot configuration with the prop in the middle of the plane spinning in a slot cut out just for it.
Pusher configuration with the prop in the back pushing the plane.

In all configurations the lettering on the prop itself should face forward for best performance. Most props are shaped to perform better in one direction than the other.

In all configurations if the air is being pushed the wrong way, switch any 2 wires between your ESC and motor. This will reverse motor/prop rotation.

Jim G

Thanks for all of your help that clarifies the mystery for me.
Now I have something else wrong. My motor never reaches full rpm. It goes up to about 1/2 throttle then fizzles out. The ESC starts all over with the musical notes for three cell battery, etc. -motor runs up and fizzles out again. Any ideas?
Thanks you guys are great!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Sounds like it's loosing power intermittently and the ESC is rebooting. I would check your wiring. The spinning motor might be vibrating enough to interrupt power.

BHOFM

Is every one here named Jim????

It sounds like you could be using a battery with too low a C rating, or is dying. The voltage drops causing the ESC to go in low
voltage shut down, then the voltage jumps back up with no load and does the cycle over and over.

Jim G

I have another propeller question. Some times when you purchase props they come with cw/ccw. My prop of choice is ccw. What do you do with the other cw prop. Probably a silly question. But I would like to know what the experts do.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
I have another propeller question. Some times when you purchase props they come with cw/ccw. My prop of choice is ccw. What do you do with the other cw prop. Probably a silly question. But I would like to know what the experts do.

Reverse the polarity of the motor so it spins the CW prop the opposite direction of the CCW prop. Or I just make sure I buy props that are one direction only :p.

Jim G

Ccw or ccw

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I could run cw - of course I guess if it wants to fly backwards that would be a indicator to. Hahaha 😊😆