Pusher/Tractor

Kaona

I'm running 6040 gemfans.
9g servos.
The all up dry weight for the scout reads 4.05 do I need to add the difference of the weight of a 5-gram servo and a 9 gram servo to get my true weight.

Anybody ever put a flight controller on that mini F-22? I have one that I built that I've never even flown that I put a cc3d Evo.

All the controls match what I'm doing on the radio so it should be flyable but I'm just nervous to fly it.

Kaona

The term tractor prop and pusher prop, are throw backs to the glow engine days. It was far easier to switch props than to reverse the rotation of a glow engine.

I used to run a lot of airboats and that's what we called them back then. I usually refer to them today as CCW or CW.

Kaona

I used to run a lot of airboats and that's what we called them back then. I usually refer to them today as CCW or CW.
So I'm technically running a clockwise prop on a counter-clockwise motor. So needless to say for my other plane, to use up my quad motors, I'll be running a counter-clockwise prop on a clockwise motor, as a pusher configuration. I won't need to do any lead swapping because I'll have them rotating in their intended direction according to what the threads are on the prop nut.

Kaona

So I'm technically running a clockwise prop on a counter-clockwise motor. So needless to say for my other plane, to use up my quad motors, I'll be running a counter-clockwise prop on a clockwise motor, as a pusher configuration. I won't need to do any lead swapping because I'll have them rotating in their intended direction according to what the threads are on the prop nut.
Does that sound right? It's a mouthful.

It's not that I'm afraid to crash the plane it's that it's not a quad and quads are pretty dang easy to fly. I watched a couple videos on the mini scout and the mini f22 but.......they don't really look very stable. That's why I put a flight controller in the f22.

TDL

The mini F22 is very easy to fly. I added a gyro (the term people used in old days) to one of my own design foam plane, it made a huge difference, making a way tail-heavy plane flyable. However I found gyro tends to overload my servos if the plane was not balanced properly, which means you still have to trim your plane to fly true before you turn on the gyro. My suggestions for F22 maiden are: Grab the wing, point the nose between 60 to 90 degree up, throttle up until it is wanting to fly off your hand, and then a gentle toss. Mine normally will follow with a quick roll to one side (the direction of the wind, given it’s a small plane). But after it builds up air speed, it’s relatively more stable than other planes in that size range. Good luck!

danskis

Master member
I second the launch technique. I give mine about 3/4 throttle and sixty - seventy degrees up. Guide it into the air and don't throw it. Buena suerte!

Kaona

From the cockpit, which way should the propeller turn on the mini scout? CW-CCW?

I don't know if I'm understanding it correctly but is the direction determined from the cockpit or facing the plane from the front?

Fully assembled without electronics does it tend to be nose heavy or tail heavy?

Last edited:

Kaona

Is the firewall angle correct?
Down and right!

Attachments

• IMG_20200404_090530757.jpg
    IMG_20200404_090530757.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200404_090547452.jpg
    IMG_20200404_090547452.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200404_090619835.jpg
    IMG_20200404_090619835.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0

Kaona

On mounting landing gear, how forward of cg should it be?

I lined up the camera lens right down the center of the wing fold to show how far forward of that line the gear is.
Am I even close?

Attachments

• IMG_20200416_155620420.jpg
    IMG_20200416_155620420.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0