Pusher/Tractor

Kaona

What about prop torque and and angle?
if I run an opposite rotating motor and propeller will I have to change the angle to the opposite direction?

Does the mini scout have an angle built into the firewall, except for down angle?

And does the mini F-22 have any sort of tilting angles built into the power pod?

I have clockwise and counterclockwise rotating motors left over from quads and want to use them up.

I'm not necessary looking to change the motor direction but to install a motor with an opposite direction spinning nut and prop.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The prop you use and the direction of the motor have to match. The only difference between CW and CCW brushless motors is the thread on the shaft, so if you're planning on running a motor "backwards" (in relation to the threads) use a nylock or you risk the prop nut loosening/flying off if the prop ever strikes anything.

Kaona

I'm not looking to run a motor in the opposite direction of it's designated rotation!

Can I run a clockwise motor in a pusher configuration and on the same hand can I run a counter-clockwise motor on a pusher configuration. As well as run propellers that are matching the motors rotation!?

Can this also be applied to a tractor style plane with the motor and prop in the front facing front unlike a pusher configuration with the motor facing the rear and the prop facing the front.

Would the firewall angle have to change with the motor direction?

Kaona

It's just I have buckets full of quad props which come in clockwise and counterclockwise rotation and I'm wanting to utilize them for building mini planes using both CCW and CW rotating motors and propellers without changing her directions by swapping leads.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I'm not looking to run a motor in the opposite direction of it's designated rotation!

You can run any motor as a tractor or pusher. In either direction. The prop just has to match the rotation. If you run a tractor configuration backwards with a pusher prop, you will have to worry about thrust angle on planes that have this in the plans. I don't know how many (if any) of the swappables have thrust angle built in, but if it's there, you'll want to reverse it if you're not running standard rotation.

Sero

Elite member
The Mini Scout has right thrust, if your going to use a CW prop you need left thrust. Pushers are no concern as they don't have left or right thrust.

Kaona

Here is the mini scout setup I'm contemplating.

Screenshot_20200401-211843~2.png
Screenshot_20200401-211910~2.png

danskis

Master member
I just built and flown my 2nd mini F22. It flies great with no angles in the firewall i.e. no side thrust or up or down thrust. Make sure you have the recommended elevon angles with the gauge and it likes to have the CG spot on or a little nose heavy. It also likes to be launched with a lot of power and up angle. I'm sure you know this but the numbers on the prop always face forwards.

Kaona

I just built and flown my 2nd mini F22. It flies great with no angles in the firewall i.e. no side thrust or up or down thrust. Make sure you have the recommended elevon angles with the gauge and it likes to have the CG spot on or a little nose heavy. It also likes to be launched with a lot of power and up angle. I'm sure you know this but the numbers on the prop always face forwards.
Thanks for the info.

Kaona

Looking at my setup it appears as though the wing loading might be a little heavy. What do you guys think?

Kaona

Should I reinforced the wing somehow or do the bends or folds in the wing you have plenty of strength. I'm talking about the mini scout by the way.

TDL

I don’t think you need to reinforce the wing on mini scout, the mini series is designed for indoors and for outdoors in calm weather, the folded airfoils provide necessary strength already, However, the mini F22 is a different animal, if you add the Kfm airfoil to the wing, it can easily handle 10mph+ wind.
I won’t worry about thrust angle on 7” and under props. Thrust angle is more important to a tractor than to a pusher. Even with 9“ prop on a tractor (on the extreme side your thrust line is way off the lift center like a high wing trainer) you still can easily correct the issue with a couple of washers under the motor screws. 10“ prop and up you would need to have thrust angle build-in on you motor mount.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The term tractor prop and pusher prop, are throw backs to the glow engine days. It was far easier to switch props than to reverse the rotation of a glow engine.