Pushing the flight envelope

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
I was bored with my Combat Wing so i decided to push the limits:

got myself the infamous 2826 2200Kv motor that works so good with the 6x4 prop on everyones bixler; bulletproof ESC Plush 40A and the devilish propeller 7x6 APC. (regular 2200 3s nanotechs)
(former setup: emax 2812 with 7x6 and 30A hk esc)

I knew for a fact that with a 7x4 APC i would pull around 350W on this setting with the 7x6 i think its around 400W (can you guys check this im having trouble using the DriveCalc)

Here is the result; Lightning fast wing !!!!! but unfortunately the spars werent carbon fiber, the guy who made it used fiberglass rods resulting in wing folding at WOT trying for a low altitude - high speed pass.

next one will have carbon fiber rods and ill probably going to lamite with fiberglass tissue and epoxi finish cure.

asag1.jpg
asag2.jpg

Last edited:

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Very cool! I can't tell, is that homemade?
I would suggest laminate film on it. It will stiffen it up and make it indestructible to abrasion, water, and dents

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Last edited:

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Laminate film is awesome stuff. I used it on my FPV raptor and it actually stiffened it up a bit too. Here: http://www.canuckengineering.com/new/catalog/film-covering
I used 5mm stuff. You just iron it on, no glue, no mess. Super cheap, then you can paint it, or do something like this:
P1040087.JPG

That goes on over the film, called carbon vinyl. Don't use carbon fiber, it creates and RF shadow.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
nice idea !

its like adhesive vinyl ?? or covering film like oracover and stuff ? i think im going for the laminate process and spray paint on top of it ...

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Laminate is awesome but does not hold paint very well.
It'll flake off very easily.
We prefer to leave the wing unpainted, add the laminate and then decorate with prismatic vinyl sheets and/or tape, or colored packing tape.

Last edited:

Carbon

Elemental Madness
nice idea !

its like adhesive vinyl ?? or covering film like oracover and stuff ? i think im going for the laminate process and spray paint on top of it ...

the vinyl I believe isadhesive but dont take my word on it. look on RCG, tons of guys do eet. what i did to paint was one layer of film, paaint, clear coat, then another layer. looking back I should have just skipped the paint though

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Laminate is awesome but does not hold paint very well.
It'll flake off very easily.
We prefer to leave the wing unpainted, add the laminate and then decorate with prismatic vinyl sheets and/or tape, or colored packing tape.

im thinking maybe i can spray paint BEFORE the laminate process

earthsciteach

You can use poster laminate and just iron it on. Don't know how much it costs as I have used the laminate at school.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
im thinking maybe i can spray paint BEFORE the laminate process

We've done that as well with mixed results. It really depends on the paint. Some of the guys here locally have had good luck with Krylon Fusion. Some paints make it more difficult for the laminate to stick to the foam. It can create a layer between the foam and the laminate that somehow doesn't like to stick to either one that well. There's a video out there somewhere on how to paint Ritewings.
Spray the foam with m77 or m90- let it dry- paint- another layer of the spray adhesive- then laminate.

My results with paint and laminate have not been stellar. If I'm going to laminate I leave the wing white.