Pushrod control wire in the UK

snuffy

Hi guys, any idea where I can find 1.4mm (or thereabouts) pushrod wire in the UK?

I have found piano wire and carbon steel in various online stores, Ebay etc. but it seems crazy expensive for what it is.

What do the other Brits on here use?

Cheers,
Tim.

KishMot

I too had problems finding push rods until I came across a tip on this site about Stake Flags or Marker Flags which can be found at hardware stores. I got like twenty-five 30inch flags for like 3 bucks.

I live in Canada so I am not sure about that in the UK though.

snuffy

I too had problems finding push rods until I came across a tip on this site about Stake Flags or Marker Flags which can be found at hardware stores. I got like twenty-five 30inch flags for like 3 bucks.

I live in Canada so I am not sure about that in the UK though.

I have seen that these flags are used over your side of the pond but they're not used over here, so expensive to import. They would be ideal. I'll keep looking. Thanks KishMot.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Every country should have access to welding wire. I bought the thinnest that I could find which is .9mm MIG welding wire. I have to use straws as sleeves to stop the wire from flexing, otherwise it works great and is relatively cheap. They do make thicker than .9mm, so you may find exactly what you're looking for. But MIG welding wire comes in spools and needs to be straightened, or you could just use the thinner stuff and coffee straws for sleeves.

I don't think all hardware stores sell welding supplies, but you should be able to find a store in your area that sells welding supplies and just ask for a spool of MIG wire. Some auto parts stores sell it.

Freaky_1

old headcase
If you've got a sharp knife and a worn out street bike tire. You've probably got 2 nice long rolls of control wire. Drag a sharp blade along the inside bead of the old tire (tyre) and see if it's rolled wire or cord. Obviously, if it's cord it's useless. If it's rolled wire, carefully fillet the rubber from the roll of wire and pull the roll out.

Yes, I'm that cheap.

Frank

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Hi guys, any idea where I can find 1.4mm (or thereabouts) pushrod wire in the UK?
..Cheers, Tim.
Where in the UK do you live? Dont you have any local hobby store? Steve Webb(servoshop) is a place to start.
For more special assortment you can look for Mike Woodhouse supplies.
But - there should be a local club not far from you - they might have something.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Here in Germany I've got "spring steel wire" from my hobby shop in 1 or 1.5 m length for about 1 Euro - depending what diameter I need.

When I look at ebay.co.uk the main reason for the high prices seem to be Royal Mail postage for 50cm long packages. So looking local might be the way to go.

snuffy

Every country should have access to welding wire. I bought the thinnest that I could find which is .9mm MIG welding wire. I have to use straws as sleeves to stop the wire from flexing, otherwise it works great and is relatively cheap. They do make thicker than .9mm, so you may find exactly what you're looking for. But MIG welding wire comes in spools and needs to be straightened, or you could just use the thinner stuff and coffee straws for sleeves.

I don't think all hardware stores sell welding supplies, but you should be able to find a store in your area that sells welding supplies and just ask for a spool of MIG wire. Some auto parts stores sell it.

Good idea. Ebay is too expensive for this stuff. I'll have to go out to a local store somewhere. Thanks.

snuffy

If you've got a sharp knife and a worn out street bike tire. You've probably got 2 nice long rolls of control wire. Drag a sharp blade along the inside bead of the old tire (tyre) and see if it's rolled wire or cord. Obviously, if it's cord it's useless. If it's rolled wire, carefully fillet the rubber from the roll of wire and pull the roll out.

Yes, I'm that cheap.

Frank

I like that idea. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks.

snuffy

Where in the UK do you live? Dont you have any local hobby store? Steve Webb(servoshop) is a place to start.
For more special assortment you can look for Mike Woodhouse supplies.
But - there should be a local club not far from you - they might have something.

I'm down in Bristol, there are a few local hobby stores so I'll give them a go. Thanks.

snuffy

I think you're absolutely right about the postage. I'll try the hobby stores; that sounds more like the price I would be expecting to pay.